Desktop Audio System Upgrade - Advice Please
Jan 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #17 of 21
If you like to match aesthetics, you could get something like a pair of KRK VXT4's with the matching 10 or 12" sub that should total in right around your budget.

I mentioned the Nuforce set earlier, which I have. Not as high end as other stuff, but the footprint on the speakers and amp is tiny and is great for a crowded desk. Most desktop speakers/monitors will take up nearly square foot each, while the Nuforce speakers are about the size of a fat coffee mug. The amp is roughly the size of a book. 

If going without a sub for a while, look for speakers that reach comfortably below 80Hz, and ideally around 60Hz. If going with a sub right away, that lower end extension isn't as critical though aiming for at least 80Hz is still good. 

edit: also consider that if the room is small, a sub may not be ideal and you might be better off with a low reaching pair of monitors

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #18 of 21
Thanks, I will for sure check those out.  All of you really have helped out a bunch.  There is so much to choose from.  So many options in audio.  I will get back to you when I had a chance to see what they all look like and price.  Thanks

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #19 of 21
They will be going on my desk.  So, space is very limited.

In that case for a powered system for a bedroom, Paradigm MilleniaOne CT is definitely worth checking out. Comes with a sub that also has the amp for the speakers. The little sub that comes with it is supposed to have amazing sound.

Here's a review of the full set (not CT) , but same speakers: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-report-paradigm-milleniaone-speakers-milleniasub-subwoofer?page=0,2

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:
Hi Foolsgold,

You may want to take a look at our Audiophile Desktop System. It is an all in one package with our DACmini PX Integrated (dac/headphone amp/power amp) and speakers enclosed in a pelican carrying case.
Here is what one reviewer said:

"This is a system aimed at those willing to pay a prem­um for greatness. A truly bespoke solution for amazing audio in a pretty small package. It's the best all-in-one system we've seen, paired as well as any amp/speaker system we've seen, and offering the best overall DAC that we've tried. Available now, and highly recommended."
(http://www.trulygadgets.com/432/all/1291-centrance-audio-audiophile-desktop-amp-dac-and-speakers-one-tight-package/)

The retail price is $1499, but right now we have a special 30% off deal until Feb. 15th with coupon code "ADS30-13".

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Kenny

Man, I keep looking at this... too bad I couldn't trade you guys some gear huh? 
tongue.gif
 (I could always review these vs my Nuforce desktop set, hmm...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back