Desktop Audio Advice
Feb 12, 2013 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Wozzie

New Head-Fier
I have been reading through these forums for a few days and I think I have gotten to the point where I would like some advice on what to do with my computer.  Right now my desktop is my primary media player and will be for the next few years if not longer.  I use my computer to play my music, blu rays, movies/tv, games and I run my TV(used for console gaming) audio through my computer to my desktop speakers.  So I have been looking for a well rounded audio card to replace my on board Realtek AL892 (motherboard - Asus Sabertooth Z77).  I am a huge fan of Asus products so that has leaning heavily toward the Asus sound cards, specifically the Xonar Essence STX or Xonar D2X, is there a better card for what I am using my computer for?  For desktop speaker currently using an old 2.1 system from Logitech. After I get the sound card my next purchase would be to change my Logitech speakers out for something better, I was thinking of getting a 2.0 system then later adding a subwoofer. The Audioengine A5+ caught my eye, what are the pros/cons to these speakers?  Are there any better speakers in this price range that I can add a subwoofer to later?  I do occasionally use headphones if I need things to be quiet late at night.  I have been thinking about getting the Logitech UE 6000, I am by no means sold on this pair of headphones if anyone has a better alternative I would appreciate the input, I would like to keep the price around $250 a little higher is ok and I like the closed, around the ear style headphones.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 3
for speakers I would check out the Def Tech Studiomonitor 350's or 450's... they going for around 200 and 300 respectively right now.  I use the 350's with my computer set up.  I primarily listen to music and watch movies (not much gaming).  They are awesome and have 8" bass radiators so they hit much lower then you would think. I am not even using a sub with them and I have been more then satisfied

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for the speaker recommendation, I like the fact that they are cheaper then the A5+'s.

I guess what I really need to decide on is what sound card to get, I will primarily use the speakers but I will get some headphone use out of it.   I know the Xonar Essence STX is great for headphones but how does it compare to other sound cards when using speakers? 

Is there, by chance a recommendation thread for computer audio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back