Desktop amp suggestions
May 28, 2015 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

evildude683

New Head-Fier
My three main areas of concern are;
1- It has to have a USB in
2- It needs to have a sub out as I'm planning to incorporate one to my system.
3- Perhaps most important of all is sound quality.
My budget is about  $300, maybe a little more. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

May 29, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #2 of 9
  My three main areas of concern are;
1- It has to have a USB in
2- It needs to have a sub out as I'm planning to incorporate one to my system.
3- Perhaps most important of all is sound quality.
My budget is about  $300, maybe a little more. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

You mean a headphone amp? That's a big problem  - many have preamps but they get muted when a plug is inserted into the headphone jack.

The best you can do is a speaker amp with USB in, but they might also mute the dedicated subwoofer output if you plug in a headphone. The only way around it is to use an amp like the NuForce Icon2 but connect the headphone to the speaker outputs (by using a special adapter like HiFiMan's, or make a cable for it), that way it won't mute the subwoofer preamp output. 

Aside from the Icon2 (which I think is out of production now), the only other compact speaker amp with a USB input and subwoofer preamp is the NAD D3020, and that's double your budget.

May 29, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 9
Might help if you could explain your plans for how you are going to use the sub. Is this for use with speakers? And what make/model speakers? Make/model sub?

And as ProtegeManiac asked, are you looking for a headphone amp? Speaker amp?

Give us LOTS more details :)

May 29, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 9
Might help if you could explain your plans for how you are going to use the sub. Is this for use with speakers? And what make/model speakers? Make/model sub?

And as ProtegeManiac asked, are you looking for a headphone amp? Speaker amp?

Give us LOTS more details
smily_headphones1.gif

I apologize for not sharing more details so here it goes.
Yes, I am looking for a desktop amp to power my not so stunning Sony SS-B1000 (for now) and I'm planning to use my 10" Energy powered sub with it to add "kick" to the set up.. 
All of my music is on my iMac hence the fact I want the usb in in order to by-pass the iMac's internal sound card. I do not use headphones that often and the ones I have are not extremely hard to drive (Sony V6, Shure 440, Shure iem 215)

I wasn't planning to spend much but based on ProtegeManiac's recommendation I went over and looked into the NAD and came across this beauty which is a lot more, however, it does have everything I wanted. I guess other little project will have to wait 
rolleyes.gif

What do you guys think?

May 29, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 9
Yes, I am looking for a desktop amp to power my not so stunning Sony SS-B1000 (for now) and I'm planning to use my 10" Energy powered sub with it to add "kick" to the set up.. 
All of my music is on my iMac hence the fact I want the usb in in order to by-pass the iMac's internal sound card. I do not use headphones that often and the ones I have are not extremely hard to drive (Sony V6, Shure 440, Shure iem 215)

I wasn't planning to spend much but based on ProtegeManiac's recommendation I went over and looked into the NAD and came across this beauty which is a lot more, however, it does have everything I wanted. I guess other little project will have to wait :rolleyes:

What do you guys think?

Unless you are planning on buying $1500 speakers and very good sub, I think you should spend less on the amplification and save it towards better speakers/sub. I'd stick with your $300 budget. Also, the Schiit Modi 2 USB dac ($99) would likely be as good as the DAC in that Yamaha (if not better), so you don't have to restrict yourself to amps with USB input if you are going to spend more. Some iMacs have optical out, which would give you more flexibility in amp choices. Have you checked to see if yours has one of those mini optical outputs that is part of your headphone jack? Check the manual for your year's model.

BTW: Which model Energy do you have? There have been several Energy sub models.

May 29, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 9
Unless you are planning on buying $1500 speakers and very good sub, I think you should spend less on the amplification and save it towards better speakers/sub. I'd stick with your $300 budget. Also, the Schiit Modi 2 USB dac ($99) would likely be as good as the DAC in that Yamaha (if not better), so you don't have to restrict yourself to amps with USB input if you are going to spend more. Some iMacs have optical out, which would give you more flexibility in amp choices. Have you checked to see if yours has one of those mini optical outputs that is part of your headphone jack? Check the manual for your year's model.

BTW: Which model Energy do you have? There have been several Energy sub models.

This is the exact sub I have, which is currently being used on my master room but lacks punch to my taste, so I'm planning to move it over to the office setup.

You seem to know what you're talking about, perhaps you can help me.
Yes, my mid 2010 27" iMac does have optical out via the headphone jack.
I recently purchased the DAC destroyer and connected it to my current stereo receiver the Sony STR-DH100 and an old MTX subwoofer using the Sub's high level inputs. I really don't like the way it sounds going though the MTX's high level inputs and that's why I wanted a new amp with sub out to be able to use the Energy one. I don't mind the receiver nor the DAC Destroyer but I want something a bit less complicated and current, maybe even smaller. Such as the NAD suggested above.

What do you suggest?

May 29, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 9
This is the exact sub I have, which is currently being used on my master room but lacks punch to my taste, so I'm planning to move it over to the office setup.

I recently purchased the DAC destroyer and connected it to my current stereo receiver the Sony STR-DH100 and an old MTX subwoofer using the Sub's high level inputs. I really don't like the way it sounds going though the MTX's high level inputs and that's why I wanted a new amp with sub out to be able to use the Energy one. I don't mind the receiver nor the DAC Destroyer but I want something a bit less complicated and current, maybe even smaller. Such as the NAD suggested above.

What do you suggest?

Since your iMac has the optical output, you could definitely run it to your receiver or a new receiver you could buy that has it's own built in DAC; AVRs all have that. Or maybe your DAC Destroyer is better than the DAC in your receiver. (I'm not familiar with it).

The NAD amp is a minaturized amp. Just realize you are paying extra for the small size. If best SQ is your goal, especially with a limited budget (and I mean one that doesn't run in the thousands), that might not be your best choice.

Since you described your speakers previously as the "not so stunning Sony SS-B1000 (for now)", it seems like are looking for best SQ and know that you have to upgrade those speakers. My suggestion would be to start a thread over at the AVS speaker forum and let them help you figure out what to do first for best sound with the money you have to spend now and what will give you the best price/performance benefits given your needs. They know best prices on everything and this is what they do all day long--advise on putting together speaker setups. Before starting a thread there, see item #1 in this speaker FAQ that tells you all you need to tell them to best help you. I wrote most of that FAQ (you might like reading the rest). I don't hang out as much over there any more, but I can tell you there are a lot of good people there that know how to buy and setup good speaker systems :)

May 29, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 9
What do you suggest?

I'm thinking you would do best with an integrated amplifier or stereo receiver, as it would come with a dedicated sub-woofer output.
You would have the option of using the DAC Destroyer, between the Mac and the amplifier/receiver.
Or use an optical connection, between the Mac and the amplifier/receiver (whichever sounds better).
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/integratedamp/home-audio/receivers-amps/integrated-amps/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/stereoreceivers/home-audio/receivers-amps/stereo-receivers/1.html

I think your going to spend a lot more trying to get something small, like the NAD, which is cash that could be spent towards other audio stuff.

May 30, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 9

I wasn't planning to spend much but based on ProtegeManiac's recommendation I went over and looked into the NAD and came across this beauty which is a lot more, however, it does have everything I wanted. I guess other little project will have to wait 
rolleyes.gif

What do you guys think?

If you're driving speakers might as well get an HT receiver. There are 2ch receivers with subwoofer outputs from the same range but lower price points than that Yamaha but I'm not sure if any of them apply complimentary low- and hi-pass filters. I personally would use the 2ch receivers though, as long as the subwoofer has an adjustable crossover (so I can set it lower instead of doubling up the same frequencies that the mains are capable of too much).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back