1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Desktop amp suggestion for HD598 with speakers out too

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by solarium, Nov 20, 2013.
  1. Solarium
    I have HD598's paired with X-Fi Titanium HD sound card from my desktop. I will be connecting an amplifier (with preferably low output impedance) via the line-out jack of the TiHD. From here, I want to connect both my speakers as well as my HD598 to my amplifier and the ability to switch between the 2. What would be a good suggestion for me to able to do this?

So it goes like:

Titanium HD --> "line-out" RCA jack --> amplifier --> connects BOTH speakers (2.1) + headphones with the ability to toggle between the 2

I've been reading that Schiit Magni is a good pair for the TiHD, however it doesn't have the connection I need and I will have to unplug the speakers and connect the headphones and vice versa every time I switch. I also read that the Fiio E09K offers some sort of "pre-amp" that I really have trouble understanding, does it connect to speakers?

2. jcx
    there is no "good" solution - you need separate amps since the headphones have >100x more sensitivity than full size loudspeakers

the 2.8 Vrms that gives 1 W into 8 Ohms for a loudspeaker of, say 90 (+/- 6?)  dB/W sensitivity rating, gives > 120 dB  from the HD598  headphone

some regular audio power amps for loudspeakers have(had?) headphone outputs which drive headphones with a internal resistive divider from the speaker output

but those speaker amps were likely designed before today's higher sensitivity, lower Z headphones and won't have a good level match - the DIN 120 Ohm headphone output "standard"
     is basically dead today

many integrated AV systems just use a cheap op amp for a completely separate internal headphone amp

the X-Fi HD has dedicated (and rollable) op amps for the headphone output - at the Senn 598 sensitivity of 112 db/V you could want moar peak SPL than the rated 1 V output of the card but 112 dB peak SPL isn't shabby

the main problem would if the card headphone out jack has a switch cutting line out with the headphone plugged in

3. Solarium
    Any suggestions for opamps to use for TiHD + HD598 combo?

Also, if I'm looking at the Fiio E9/E09K, will this allow me to connect both my headphones and speakers through it (TiHD RCA output --> E9/E09K --> speaker + headphones). Is the E9/E09K the only amp within $100 price range that does this? Any other alternatives.

Also, will I see any noticeable benefit from amp on the HD598 at all? It's a sensitive headphone with low ohm's.

If I were to need an amp, and I were to decide between the Schiit Magni and the Objective2 (JDS Labs version), which would be a better fit with the HD598 + TiHD (Burr Brown DAC) combo?