Desktop amp recommendations
May 4, 2017 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

chimney189

Headphoneus Supremus
Good day,
I own the HD 800 and Alpha Prime headphones. I'm currently running them through a Burson 160-DA DAC and a Burson Soloist SL AMP. However I want to try and find a different type of amplifier that is neutral, maybe a tiny bit on the warm side. The Soloist SL seems a bit too bright, but it definitely pairs well with the Alpha Prime headphones.

Does anyone have a recommendation other than Schiit products?
I'm looking to spend under 1K.

Thanks!

May 5, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 14
I just built the new bottlehead sex 3.0 and also use it with my hd800 - i can fully recommend it if you are willing to DIY a bit. Also great to run some bookshelfs in a nearfield setup; perfect for desk useage

May 5, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 14
Good day,
I own the HD 800 and Alpha Prime headphones. I'm currently running them through a Burson 160-DA DAC and a Burson Soloist SL AMP. However I want to try and find a different type of amplifier that is neutral, maybe a tiny bit on the warm side. The Soloist SL seems a bit too bright, but it definitely pairs well with the Alpha Prime headphones.

Does anyone have a recommendation other than Schiit products?
I'm looking to spend under 1K.

I reviewed the Soloist before (not the SL though) and those are already warmer than a lot of amps like Meiers (let alone the O2), probably even Violectric. Assuming the SL doesn't have a design flaw of making the sound brighter, what you're probably hearing is some kind of flaw in the headphones' response curve (like a peak in the HD800), and going any warmer than the Bursons would be even warmer and farther from neutral, like the Little Dot Mk VI+. Which still wouldn't have a precise way of trimming the peaks - might as well save a lot of money and run an EQ app to trim where the HD800 has a peak.

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 14
Lake People G109-S. Very neutral and enough power to run just about anything. I love mine...

I've thought about getting the Lake People G109-S, but I can't for the life of me understand why it has to headphone outs. Why is this?

May 6, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 14
I've thought about getting the Lake People G109-S, but I can't for the life of me understand why it has to headphone outs. Why is this?

So potentially two people can listen. Like if you and your wife live in a home with a shared wall, like a flat, so you can't use speakers.

I don't see how that's a problem to be contemplated. It's not like having to think, "why the hell does Lamborghini charge less for AWD cars that have more parts and weigh more, and I have to pay more to get RWD and less weight?!"

May 7, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 14
So potentially two people can listen. Like if you and your wife live in a home with a shared wall, like a flat, so you can't use speakers.

I don't see how that's a problem to be contemplated. It's not like having to think, "why the hell does Lamborghini charge less for AWD cars that have more parts and weigh more, and I have to pay more to get RWD and less weight?!"

I don't see it as a problem, but I just didn't understand why it was implemented. =/

May 11, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #12 of 14
I'm using an audio-gd C2 11th Anniversary amp. It will probably run in class A with your HD800's as it has gobs of power. It is very clean with a slightly warm signature and has jumpers that can be installed to make it sound slightly warmer. I haven't tried this yet.

May 11, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #13 of 14
Auralic Taurus MkII is a fantastic amp. Can be had for under $1k gently used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back