Desktop Amp Recommendations for SoundMAGIC HP100
Aug 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jameslr

New Head-Fier
I just ordered the SoundMAGIC HP100's and I'm looking for a decent amp to drive them that won't break the bank. The form factor will be desktop as the cans won't be leaving my desk. I currently have an Asus Xonar DX PCI-e card, and I figure that should be sufficient DAC for these headphones. I've been looking at the O2 amp and some of the Fiio products, but I'm a little unsure what I should be looking for. I will be using these as all around speaker replacements for my PC - headset for gaming and listening to music. Just need something to bring them to life.

Thanks for your time!

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 5
The O2, if it is within your budget, is a great amp.  It sounds identical to my Grace Design m903 making it a very good amp for the price.

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I just ordered the SoundMAGIC HP100's on Massdrop and I'm looking for a decent amp to drive them that won't break the bank. The form factor will be desktop as the cans won't be leaving my desk. I currently have an Asus Xonar DX PCI-e card, and I figure that should be sufficient DAC for these headphones. I've been looking at the O2 amp and some of the Fiio products, but I'm a little unsure what I should be looking for. I will be using these as all around speaker replacements for my PC - headset for gaming and listening to music. Just need something to bring them to life.

PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2) works as both an AC powered amp and also can run off it's batteries.
Sells on eBay for around $60.

Schiit Magni, $99

O2 (Objective 2), $130

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the suggestions all - I think I'm going to go with the O2. There is a decent deal on the classifieds for one now, although I was thinking about buying the components in a kit and building it myself. I think that would be a fun project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back