Desktop Amp Question
Jun 11, 2008 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Pangaea

Headphoneus Supremus
My new Desktop Amp arrived today which I love so far. Beautiful piece of gear. Since my last home amp was an Arietta- a much simpler device I have a few questions about recommendations for gain with certain HPs. Now before you say just listen for yourself and make your own decisions I have tried this but the increase in volume between the LOW / MEDIUM / HIGH gain make it almost impossible to do this with any consistency. In fact with Grados going from low to med without adjusting volume hurts my ears. So all this makes it difficult to get a real accurate idea. So I was hoping some who have had this amp for awhile and perhaps more technical than I- could give some recommendations on where the gain should be for the following HPs. I realize my MMV but I am interested in your opinion.

The phones I will use mostly with the amp are Grado RS1, Denon D2000, Senn HD650 and Ultrasone 780. I realize the gain will change between these.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. BTW this is the Desktop amp with home module (NOT max).

Jun 11, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 20
My opinion is that they all pretty much sound the same, but I know others feel differently, and I look forward to their comments here.

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 20
I use Medium most of the time for my 650s.

I experimented with my other cans and different gains. Honestly, there is a slight slight difference when using grado can. I used the Low setting for this and was able to give it more volume on the knob. This just sounds a bit fuller, even at lower volumes.

Funny thing is, i used my SA6s with my amp and was kinda iffy on the low setting. I ended up going to medium, this gave it more volume with less use of the knob.

I really feel the difference is extremely subtle...but with different impedance cans out there, i can see the use for it.

CHOICE IS GOOD!!!

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 20
I agree, choice is nice. I also agree with your finding so far. My HD650s which I believe are my hardest to drive HPs really do not need more than Med. In fact I felt the SQ went down slightly on Hi. My grados are def. best at the low setting. So yeah, I guess I am figuring it out on my own. Still nice to hear what others have found.

Its a really nice amp, Tyll- great work. Worth every cent. In fact I just ordered the Astrodyne today for it.

Jun 12, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 20
I have used nothing but Grado SR80, SR225 and RS1 with me 06' Micro Amp w/ DM and Ultra Micro Amp. well, a Senn HD 595 for a short spell.

from the begining I always thought the Grado's sound best to me set at Low Gain giving me the most control with the volume pot like with other equipment I have owned. Yet for some reason at some point I find myself pushing the Gain to Medium and will end up listening at Medium Gain most of the time.

so what is exactly taking place when you switch between the three Gain settings?

and how do we reference these three Gain settings like Amps and Speakers are with Watts and Ohms?

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 20
I have found with some bass-heavy hip-hop, when it's on medium gain, the bass causes distortion in the song. When I turn the volume down on foobar, put it on high gain, and crank it up quite a bit (same volume level in comparison to the 1st set up), there is no distortion.

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 20
I don't know about the Desktop, but my Bithead's always on "high". I judge which setting to use by asking myself if I need to set it higher. If so, I flip the switch. So far, the "high" gain setting's been enough.

Jun 19, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about the Desktop, but my Bithead's always on "high". I judge which setting to use by asking myself if I need to set it higher. If so, I flip the switch. So far, the "high" gain setting's been enough.

The TBH's high-gain setting is likely the way to go for most headphones whereas the low-gain is ideal for very highly sensitive/efficient in-ear monitors & ECHs.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Jun 19, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so what is exactly taking place when you switch between the three Gain settings?..

Joe W. (HeadRoom audio engineer) replies:

"For the low and medium gain setting, an additional resistor is placed in series with the shunt stepped attenuator, thus increasing the resistive divider effect (i.e. causing more attenuation of the signal). The high gain has no additional resistor though. This passive attenuation stage does not interact directly with either the source or the headphones, so there’s no real 'matching' going on other than the user finding a suitable volume level."

... Hope that helps!
cool.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Jun 22, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joe W. (HeadRoom audio engineer) replies:

"For the low and medium gain setting, an additional resistor is placed in series with the shunt stepped attenuator, thus increasing the resistive divider effect (i.e. causing more attenuation of the signal). The high gain has no additional resistor though. This passive attenuation stage does not interact directly with either the source or the headphones, so there’s no real 'matching' going on other than the user finding a suitable volume level."

... Hope that helps!
cool.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

I'm trying Jorge but I'm not really getting it.

I reckon the High Gain is what the amps output is and the Low and Medium Gain use resistors to reduce the output.

so how much wattage does the Ultra Micro put out on High Gain? and if we look at headphones being rated in ohms. I just do not get it.

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying Jorge but I'm not really getting it.

I reckon the High Gain is what the amps output is and the Low and Medium Gain use resistors to reduce the output.

so how much wattage does the Ultra Micro put out on High Gain? and if we look at headphones being rated in ohms. I just do not get it.

Sorry about any confusion...
frown.gif
-- the maximum rated output for HeadRoom Ultra Micro Amp is 10v RMS.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #15 of 20
I have another question about the Desktop amp, when used as a preamp. I am currently running my DAC to my Desktop Amp and then using the variable out to go to my integrated speaker amp. My question is this, what advantages are there to this? Why not have these RCA outs fixed, like true line out? Wouldn't that be a better option for a preamp. Also, set up this way what is the best way to set up the volumes on both amps (HR Desktop Amp and Integrated Amp)?

I will also add that this config sounds very good, but is it putting undue pressure on the Headamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back