Desktop Amp for AKG K601?
Mar 2, 2009 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

decayed.cell

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, asking for some upgradeitis. This time its for a desktop amp less than 300 USD, closer to 200 USD would be nice. Criteria is simple - needs to drive a K601, I love the mids and detailing, but I find the bass a bit lacking as well as the treble. It is very smooth sounding at the moment out of my SVDAC05 (I'm finding the intergrated amp in this DAC very lacking), and AV-710 + E3 combo (I know its a terrible amp but it is all I have at the moment ahaha).

Had a look at the EF-1, which is probably better than the DV 336? I was considering buying a Compass but it seems a waste to just use the amp section.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 11
I read every thread on this damn forum for the same issue and a Shanling PH100 and Heed Canamp came up a lot as recommendations (A Shanling is winging its way to me from Hong Kong as we speak). But I wasn't interested in tube recommendations because rolling to me is something dogs do in horse manure.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read every thread on this damn forum for the same issue and a Shanling PH100 and Heed Canamp came up a lot as recommendations (A Shanling is winging its way to me from Hong Kong as we speak). But I wasn't interested in tube recommendations because rolling to me is something dogs do in horse manure.

Alright when it arrives tell us what you think
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 11
I'm in more or less the same dilemma. I'm eager to see what works best for the k601's in that price range.

May 11, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 11
I have a Purity Audio Caliente, its a bit north of your budget, but there are those who described it as synergistic with the K701, specifically for its ability to deliver wonderful bass, which I absolutely agree with in regards to the Caliente driving my K501.

May 11, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksween93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in more or less the same dilemma. I'm eager to see what works best for the k601's in that price range.

I'm building an M^3 at the moment I'll let you know how it goes when its finished

Users who are viewing this thread

Back