Desktop Amp/DAC to power any type of headphone/IEM
Jun 17, 2018 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

drummerdimitri

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought Beyerdynamic DT 1990 pro headphones and would like to buy an amp/dac to be used with those headphones and any other ones I might buy in the future including IEMs and would like all the bells and whistles such as a balanced 4 pin XLR option, a Preamp output to control the volume of my powered monitors, RCA inputs, Class A topology etc..

After doing some research, I found that the Questyle cma400i seems to be pretty close to what I'm looking for but it is lacking an RCA input to use the Amp section only which I can live with.

Don't want to keep buying Amps/Dacs to suit whatever headphone I decide to buy in the future so want a neutral all in one solution.

Budget is preferably under the 1000$ mark.

Jun 17, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 25
All in one? I'd look at Audio-gd as well. Build quality is fine. It's hand made with quality parts. Looks wise, ok, it's not the prettiest player ever. My ears are happy though. It sounds like you want all the bells and whistles and you want it to look nice, and you want to keep cost down. Sounding great should also fit in there somewhere. Otherwise, what are your options, realistically? I don't know. I prioritized SQ over some other things.

http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R28/R28EN.htm

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 25
All in one? I'd look at Audio-gd as well. Build quality is fine. It's hand made with quality parts. Looks wise, ok, it's not the prettiest player ever. My ears are happy though. It sounds like you want all the bells and whistles and you want it to look nice, and you want to keep cost down. Sounding great should also fit in there somewhere. Otherwise, what are your options, realistically? I don't know. I prioritized SQ over some other things.

http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R28/R28EN.htm

Thanks for the recommendation and I am sure they sound great but I will not consider them as they are im my opinion ugly even though they might be built properly.

Jun 17, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 25
Thanks for the recommendation and I am sure they sound great but I will not consider them as they are im my opinion ugly even though they might be built properly.

Here's where I stick up for A-gd's products just cause I'm feeling it right now. I kinda like their weird retro looks. Certainly find it more interesting than a bunch of plain aluminum boxes. (Nothing against you, if you do.) It ain't at all refined aesthetically but that's how know it has to sound great. I've found in this hobby that looks, performance, and affordability aren't commonly found all in the same package.

Anyways, the ladder DAC tech is pretty retro to begin with, so to me it's all part of the charm. Best of luck on your search!

Jun 17, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 25
Why not just get a Fulla or Schiit stack or Headamp product or Element?

Jun 17, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 25
If the Audio-GD is not your thing, I'm cool with that :)

Have you check out Schiit?
http://www.schiit.com/products
There stuff does look nice.

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 25
You can consider JDS Labs EL AMP and EL DAC. They look nice when putting on your desk and the sound quality is supreme. The only disadvantage is it does not come with XLR :frowning2:

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #12 of 25
Don't like the design. Also, If my budget is around 1000$ I am sure they are better options out there...
Awwww.... the design looks cool and it sounds brilliant for me. Nvm then. Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back