desktop amp+dac... several headphones to power.
Apr 28, 2014 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sargatanas

Head-Fier
i own audio technica m50-s, senn hd 650, v-moda crossfade m-100, westone w40, and denon ah-7100. ive just about given up on finding a headphone that really rocks for metal. i want to feel double kick-drum crack my skull. solid impact punchy bass. the closest that ive gotten to that sound is the v-moda's but the mids are practically non-existent. now, i know i need an amp if i want more volume and dynamics. rockbox loaded zip/clip aint gonna cut it anymore. i'll be using my self built pc with windows 8 and foobar.  so...

whats a good all around amp that has hi and low gain settings and has a "FUN" sound? im not looking for critical listening ear bleeding highs. speaking of shrill highs... the Westone W40's will make you want to drive your car off a cliff listening to death metal. the upper highs carry a lot of spiky ear bleeding shrills and the  kick-drum is not strong. as far as my budget... under $300. 

thanx

ps. Opeth sounds like magic on the hd-650's

Apr 28, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 8
Sounds like you need a stereo setup with a good subwoofer so it can punch you hard when you listen to bass :)

As for "fun" sound, the purpose of a DAC is to accurately convert the digital to analog, and good amps will try to be transparent in reproduction or only very slightly color the sound. I wouldn't expect miracles for achieving your listening goals with a DAC/amp. Different headphones are the best way to get those kinds of effects. Perhaps you need to try the Philips X1 or HE-400s?

For under $300, you might look into the ODAC/O2 for the better volume and dynamics. It does have a gain switch.

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 8
Sounds like you need a stereo setup with a good subwoofer so it can punch you hard when you listen to bass
smily_headphones1.gif

As for "fun" sound, the purpose of a DAC is to accurately convert the digital to analog, and good amps will try to be transparent in reproduction or only very slightly color the sound. I wouldn't expect miracles for achieving your listening goals with a DAC/amp. Different headphones are the best way to get those kinds of effects. Perhaps you need to try the Philips X1 or HE-400s?

For under $300, you might look into the ODAC/O2 for the better volume and dynamics. It does have a gain switch.

i already have a very loud stereo system. newborn baby in the house, now i have to go headphone route lol. would the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC be a good choice over the ODAC/02? seems from what ive read thus far, the opac/02 combo is pretty bright. i like good treble extension but for metal, it will make your ears bleed lol

http://www.mav-audio.com/store/index.php/dac/tube-magic-dac-d1-5670.html?SID=jhr1br8dokjpqtfgbrac0kg4a3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back