Desktop Amp/DAC for MrSpeakers Mad Dog
Jan 21, 2013 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ToastyWaffle

New Head-Fier
So I bought a pair of ATH-M50's and let's just say I was less than impressed, so I decided to get a true upgrade. So I'm planning to buy Mad Dogs. They seem perfect, but I haven't found any info on what kind of amp to use with the cans.

I need to know if they can be run off of a portable device, and what a good amp would be for them. I would like to know whether to get a tube or solid state amp. I can get an amp and a dac, or an amp/dac combo. Basically I just want to know what a good setup would be for these cans. I don't mind saving up if I need to, so money isn't a huge problem, but I guess I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible.

If they can run off of a portable device then they're fine, and if not I'll just use the M50 on the go, so I only need a desktop setup. Basically I'm lost and just need information and suggestions.

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 5
Get a vintage receiver if size is not a problem. A vintage Pioneer, Marantz or so on would be a good fit. Preferably before 1985.

I have tried them off a PB2, O2 and fiio E17 but they sound best out of the vintage Sherwood receiver that I have.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Get a vintage receiver if size is not a problem. A vintage Pioneer, Marantz or so on would be a good fit. Preferably before 1985.

I have tried them off a PB2, O2 and fiio E17 but they sound best out of the vintage Sherwood receiver that I have.

Okay I'll look at vintage receivers, particularly Sansui since I love their look, but I still need to know if the Mad Dogs will work well on portable devices. If they can I could sell the M50s and put the money towards a better receiver.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
So I bought a pair of ATH-M50's and let's just say I was less than impressed, so I decided to get a true upgrade. So I'm planning to buy Mad Dogs. They seem perfect, but I haven't found any info on what kind of amp to use with the cans.

I need to know if they can be run off of a portable device, and what a good amp would be for them. I would like to know whether to get a tube or solid state amp. I can get an amp and a dac, or an amp/dac combo. Basically I just want to know what a good setup would be for these cans. I don't mind saving up if I need to, so money isn't a huge problem, but I guess I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible.

If they can run off of a portable device then they're fine, and if not I'll just use the M50 on the go, so I only need a desktop setup. Basically I'm lost and just need information and suggestions.

Fiio E12 when it's released. All you'll need.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back