Desktop Amp / DAC combo, $450 budget
Sep 29, 2013 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kingofzero

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a new Amp and DAC for my desktop setup, want to spend around $450.

I've got a pair of AKG K550, but I'm looking to invest in a setup that will work with stuff like the HD650 or the K702 if I want to upgrade in a year or so.

I love the feature set of the HiFi M8, don't know how much of that I can get in my price range though?

I've been looking at desktop versions of the O2+ODAC and Schiit combinations, anything else I should consider?

I guess I should note that I will also be playing video games with this setup.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 4
Heya,

If playing video games with the setup, get an associated sound card with optical output and then make sure you have a DAC with optical input. The Xonar DG has this, and dolby headphone. It's like $30, does what you need there.

I would look to:

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (tube dac) with Schiit Asgard 2 / Matrix M-Stage / Maverick Audio A1 / Little Dot MK III (tube)
Audio GD NFB 11.32 or 15.32 (dac/amp combination unit, very powerful, can handle most orthos since it outputs over 2 watts into 30ish ohms).

Those both have optical inputs as well as USB and coaxial. So you can use how you want, but also input from a soundcard for gaming purposes.

Very best,

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 4
  I'm looking to buy a new Amp and DAC for my desktop setup, want to spend around $450.
I've got a pair of AKG K550, but I'm looking to invest in a setup that will work with stuff like the HD650 or the K702 if I want to upgrade in a year or so.
I love the feature set of the HiFi M8, don't know how much of that I can get in my price range though?
I've been looking at desktop versions of the O2+ODAC and Schiit combinations, anything else I should consider?
I guess I should note that I will also be playing video games with this setup.

Are you currently plugging the K550s straight in the PC's motherboard's on-board audio?
Get the Xonar DX or D1 sound card, used $60.
And the Schiit Magni, $99.
Should improve the K550 audio quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back