Desktop amp and DAC pairing that can drive both high impedance cans and IEMs?
Jun 2, 2015 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

karljs

Head-Fier
I would like to upgrade my main listening station (older O2+ODAC currently) with a separate AMP and DAC.  My plan is to bring the O2+ODAC to the office, where I use exclusively IEMs.  While I'm happy with it overall, I'm not thrilled with the performance on my HD800s given the problems with the high gain mode.

I was 95% sold on going the Schiit route with the Bifrost and Asgard together, but now I've come to understand that these are not friendly to IEMs.  Some people seem to report that the Asgard produces an audible hum while listening on very efficient IEMs.  While I do the large majority of my listening on full size headphones, I occasionally still like to break out IEMs if there's something noisy going on in the neighborhood.

EDIT: After some more reading, it's possible that the complaints I read about getting a humming in IEMs were from the older Asgard, not the Asgard 2 which has switchable gain.  I'd really appreciate any comments on this.

I know this isn't the recommendations section, but I'm hoping somebody might have curated a list of amps that have low and high gain modes, or are simply friendly to both.  Or if not, I'd appreciate any reports of equipment you have had good success with.

Just a note, I'm not so interested in tube amps.

I would consider getting two separate amps if there are great deals to be had that way, but I'm skeptical.

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 8
My Meier Cantate.2 has an IEM- and Grado-friendly low gain mode, but you have to open it up to take out a jumper to switch to high gain mode. I'm not sure if there are any other amps like it and the Headfive, even the newer Meiers - its low gain mode is -10db and "high" gain is basically normal, +2db IIRC (the manual's at home and I can't find the info on Google).

If I was in your situation I'd wire up the O2+ODAC to feed a signal to the amp driving the HD800 (or order one that is, if that version can't be modded), then just use the O2 on the IEM. I have an Ibasso D-Zero and I use it more as a DAC for my back up desktop amp, but when I'm working I sometimes use it to drive IEMs. Not that the IEMs need that power vs my laptop's output, but it has a convenient volume control that doesn't lag compared to clicking the icon on the lower right or the keyboard shortcuts that sometimes has a lag when I'm running a lot of programs.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the info and suggestions so far so far.  Using just the ODAC into another amp is not a bad idea at all, although it means I would still need to shell out for an inexpensive amp/DAC setup for the office to avoid annoying issues like you mentioned (and I work on a laptop which has a lot of hiss when plugged in).  This might still put me ahead in the end.

I looked at the current lineup of Meier stuff and the only one which mentions switchable gain is the PCSTEP but I'm less interested in another portable combo for my main listening area.

The Garage1217 amp looks really well thought out---I like the selectable gain and output impedance.  From what I can tell it's designed to sound ever-so-slightly like a tube amp, which I'm not sure appeals to me personally, but I'm sure it does to others.  It's a shame they don't offer a similar amp without that feature!

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 8
    From what I can tell it's designed to sound ever-so-slightly like a tube amp, which I'm not sure appeals to me personally, but I'm sure it does to others.  It's a shame they don't offer a similar amp without that feature!

All that does is smooth things over just a bit. I personally find it very appealing. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 8
  Thanks for the info and suggestions so far so far.  Using just the ODAC into another amp is not a bad idea at all, although it means I would still need to shell out for an inexpensive amp/DAC setup for the office to avoid annoying issues like you mentioned (and I work on a laptop which has a lot of hiss when plugged in).  This might still put me ahead in the end.

I'd just haul the ODAC to and from the office, put it in a padded hardcase. In my example above I have the D-Zero in the flap pocket and use it with IEMs, but when I get home I just hook up one end to the USB+OTG cable (hooked up to my Samsung dock), hook up the 3.5mm cable to the line out (hooked up to the amp), power up the amp and dock the phone, then I'm listening.

Or, you can sell the O2 and ODAC and get a one-box O2+ODAC with the output of the ODAC wired to the rear output.

I looked at the current lineup of Meier stuff and the only one which mentions switchable gain is the PCSTEP but I'm less interested in another portable combo for my main listening area.

Classic

Jazz

Still, these are powerful amplifiers, so zero gain might still get loud. On the flipside, I forgot about one important feature: they use digital volume control, so channel imbalance is likely not a problem in case you want to use your IEMs on these at home.

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Protoge, thanks for the further suggestions.  I had also sort of forgotten to consider channel imbalance, which has been an issue for me in the past when I want things quiet.  I'll definitely do some more reading on the Meier lineup and see what others have reported about using them with IEMs.

I'm still curious if anyone has experience with the Asgard 2 and IEMs on the low gain mode.  Particularly if they are among the most sensitive IEMs.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 8
  Protoge, thanks for the further suggestions.  I had also sort of forgotten to consider channel imbalance, which has been an issue for me in the past when I want things quiet.  I'll definitely do some more reading on the Meier lineup and see what others have reported about using them with IEMs.

I'm still curious if anyone has experience with the Asgard 2 and IEMs on the low gain mode.  Particularly if they are among the most sensitive IEMs.

I haven't really had any need to use my 125db Aurisonics ASG-1.3 on desktop amps, but just for kicks I tried it on my Cantate.2 on low gain mode. Usable. Unnecessary (especially given it has no convenient external switch), but usable. Still, note that it has a -10db low gain mode, so it's hard to tell how much a digital volume control can compensate. It might still go from zero to too loud with only 10mm of movement on the knob. Best to look for the Jazz and Classic threads, then ask people there to try them first with an IEM of comparable sensitivity (within 3db difference) to see how they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back