Deskbound Usb Dac amp combo for HD600??
Jun 29, 2008 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Pecker

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I have read lots of recommendations for amps for the HD600 but are there any good usb dac/amps?

Currently I am using a Fubar III.

Is there anything better out there? I am hoping too buy as an integrated combination. However if I have to buy a new USB DAC and separate amp to increase SQ then I will.

So recommendations for usb dac/amp or usb DAC and amp are welcomed.

Thanks for any help,

Mat

EDIT: I listen to indie and alternative music and like good bass (but not a bass head!).

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 27
Some folks have reported really good results with the Glow Audio Amp One and the 600s. Very nice little singlle-ended Pentode tube amp, with a built in 16 bit DAC. It will even drive a pair of speakers if they're efficient enough to get by on 5 watts. I haven't heard one myself, but I will soon...

Tim

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jojoarmani /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glow Audio Amp One has tubes! Pico at same price, does not. Also, Pico is for people mostly on the move. I want my amp to stay put.

Many have said how "huge" the sound is out of the tiny Pico.
cool.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 27
I'm jumpin' through hoops! Back to nuforce and fubarIII, which are definite no's because of negative opnions of them on the forum. Pico-naw, mkIII withKeces151-naw, then onto Glow audio...

sheesh, i don't know how to make up my mind, although i KNOW for certain i'll be spending $500.

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

I'm jumpin' through hoops! Back to nuforce and fubarIII, which are definite no's because of negative opnions of them on the forum. Pico-naw, mkIII withKeces151-naw, then onto Glow audio...

sheesh, i don't know how to make up my mind, although i KNOW for certain i'll be spending $500.

I've jumped though lots of hoops also and keep coming back to the Pico.

Jul 1, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 27
Thanks for the replies!

Still unsure on what way to go.

I'm same as jojoarmani I want more of a deskbound amp/dac

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 27
So, so far we have :

Pico $500
Glowaudio one $480
Travangans model Green $475
Nuforce $250
Emmeline Predator $475

Anyone else car to mention what they choose to be the best USB/DAC/AMP? Among these, any winners?

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 27
Those are the travagans RED without the DAC/USB, Andrew.

I just read the FAQ on TUBES and from what i understood on odd (1, 3, 5...) and even (2, 4, 6...) frequencies, tubes are better at leveling out the clipping effect rather than the hardcase amps.

What does this mean? Even a Pico, Predator or iBaso is not as good as a cheaper amp with tubes?

I am getting a USB/DAC/Amp unit at the end of the sommer and spending $400-500, but i want to make sure i have the best, or close to it.

Other wise, i'll go with mkIII and a Keces DA-151., which is same price.

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #14 of 27
Meh - HeadRoom Desktop, Balanced, Ultra-Micro stack are all desktop-bound dac/amp combos (desktop/balanced amps have an option to have a DAC built into them, accepts usb/coax/optical, very versatile). If your budget swings far enough - these should be superior to everything else mentioned here.

There are also Meier Audio amps - but I wouldn't recommend those for HD600.

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

I just read the FAQ on TUBES and from what i understood on odd (1, 3, 5...) and even (2, 4, 6...) frequencies, tubes are better at leveling out the clipping effect rather than the hardcase amps.

Ya, but you need one heck of a revealing system to make a big issue out of that...and a not-so-good solid state amp. Two very popular designs - HeadAmp GS-X and AMB Beta 22 are both solid state amps and are regarded as some of the very best amps for dynamic headphones.

Don't think of tubes as 'better', just different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back