Designing new cups?
May 18, 2016 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

93EXCivic

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone point me to articles on the design of ear cups and how the shape and design effects the sound? I have access to a 3D printer and I want to try out making cups for a set of headphones but I'd like to research it a little more then just taking wild shots at the board.

May 20, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 3
Interesting query. I suspect that many companies have worked out details but consider this proprietary information(i.e. we don't release information that competitors might get.) I suggest looking at an existing design for the type of phone you might like.

You might want to.look into the issue of vibrational damping, essentially that vibrations in the earcup structure are harmful to sound quality. Both Synthesizer in the HD800 and Grado in its e series have been using special materials to dampen such vibrations, They are somewhat obscure about these materials, probably for the above-mentioned proprietary reasons.

In my thread on mechanical damping, recently moved to this forum, we consider the use of various materials such as sorbothane to achieve this results. The sonic improvement is sometimes remarkable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back