Designer IC brings any benefit?
Nov 5, 2005 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rimmer

100+ Head-Fier
I am awaiting my PIMETA to come in (hopefully) few days and would like to ask you, noble head-fiers, whether I can get any noticeable improvement using some of those special ICs over standard cheapies? (read: is a 6 inch piece of sexy wire worth of the bucks for my setup?)

The rest of my setup is M-Audio Transit souncard & HD595. My PIMETA will have both 3.5 and RCA inputs and I need a cable not over 12 inch.

I would still prefer a budget solution - <20$ with postage to Europe, but I can go higher if it's worth of. So far I have found just Cardas HPI for $16.50 incl. postage (http://users.mwconnections.com/traudio/Cardas.html)

Nov 5, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 10
Doesn't MisterX make ICs too?

Nov 6, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 10
Build your own, if you want "custom" cables. It's actually pretty brainless... I thought it would be scary until I actually looked at the inside of a connector. I don't think there's anything easier to solder to than an RCA connector.

Nov 6, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
Doesn't MisterX make ICs too?

Well, I asked, and answer was no
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shimage
Build your own, if you want "custom" cables. It's actually pretty brainless... I thought it would be scary until I actually looked at the inside of a connector. I don't think there's anything easier to solder to than an RCA connector.

I know that, but I doubt my experiment would beat even the generic cheap cable in terms of signal transfer (=sound) quality.

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rimmer
whether I can get any noticeable improvement using some of those special ICs over standard cheapies? (read: is a 6 inch piece of sexy wire worth of the bucks for my setup?)

You will have to try & listen for yourself. As always
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 10
I think it would be hard not to beat the cheapie 10 cent IC that comes with most electronics.

There are dozen of cable recipes out there. Some are very simple, but if you were to use some decent OFC cable with some shielding and brass or gold plated OFC plugs you will be way ahead of the game.

Should only cost you $1-$5 a foot for the cable and a few bucks for the plug ends.

Nov 6, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

canI get any noticeable improvement using some of those special ICs over standard cheapies? (read: is a 6 inch piece of sexy wire worth of the bucks for my setup?)

From my experience with my portable setup, no it wont bring any noticable improvement. But the Cardas 6" cable only costs $16, so it wont hurt you even if it doesnt ... and it IS sexy.

Nov 6, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

I know that, but I doubt my experiment would beat even the generic cheap cable in terms of signal transfer (=sound) quality.

Yeah but it gives you an opportunity to experiment and decide if you are believer in cables. Hence, remove the "doubt" you just said
wink.gif

Either way it should be a fun and informative hobby
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back