Designacable AKG 271 Replacement Headphone Cable - Van Damme - First Impressions
Aug 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BIgsteviet

New Head-Fier
Purchased through designacable on ebay.co.uk. Very prompt despatch.

Well, at the ripe old age of 40, I'm starting my journey of headphone discovery by seeing what difference add-ons can make to my studio headphones, hence the 'uprated' cable.

Initial impressions? Very good, It seems to be well made, with solid construction and good connectors. Reassuringly thicker than the standard cable. The mini-XLR clicked into the phones nicely and there are no issues with loose connections either end. This seems like a quality item, no complaints there.

Concerns? I bought an orange cable (my favourite colour) and it is a far more subdued shade than in the ad. It's more of a rust colour. That's a shame, but not a deal breaker. The picture showed the words 'VAN DAMME PRO GRADE', where the actual item shows 'Van damme 268-058-030 CLASSIC PRO-PATCH' - more knowledgable members will hopefully tell me whether the reality matches the advertised goods.

How does it sound? Well, despite the advert claiming '
This lead is loud and clear, you will notice the difference when you upgrade to this cable.' in reality, it is no louder (and dubiously clearer) and I didn't notice the difference, much though I wanted to. ​

Without a more scientific approach, it definitely sounded no louder to my ears. Clearer? Very, very possibly. Maybe. A shade. Or is that my subconscious wanting to justify a £19 expenditure?​

I'll leave it to burn in over the next couple of days and check it on Sunday night. I'll let you know if there's a change.​

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 10
I care little for loudness....but clarity is always a welcome addition to my Q701's or indeed any audio device!  

So, after your 'burn in' period of experimentation, what are your findings?

Is there any marked improvements?....Have these Van Dammes got any any legs or are they like the man himself, all wound up and left on the shelf?

I am keen to hear your results Bigsteviet.....and whether you recommend I one click my amazon account and have them fighting their way to me to assist me on the Battlefield 4  or to file them Expendables 2?

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 10
TBH, no real difference at all.

It's a well-made item and if you need a replacement cable, I would recommend it.

As an upgrade? Nope. Not in this house.

YMMV.

I've now moved onto new phones, so if you want an orange one, it's yours for a tenner +P&P. (Mods - please delete this line if it isn't appropriate?)

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 10
That's rather disappointing! There is a lack of UK options for AKG Q701 cables. I'm quite happy with the cans, but the lime green doesn't show up well on my wooden flooring and I'm looking to get a dark to black cable so I don't trip over it as often. I shall persevere, but thanks for the offer.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 10
It seems a tad 'Heath Robinson' for my liking Steve!....I've seen some cables on Ebay that look the part, but as yet have not found anyone to give me any idea as to heir quality.

Just out of curiosity, why have you got rid of your 701's?

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 10
Yeah, I know what you mean about Heath Robinson - it was just a budget idea. Well, you could try the same guys for a black cable - if you only need to change for colour, there's certainly no loss of performance I can hear and it's well made. Thicker and more robust, too.

They weren't 701s - they were 271s from when I was home recording a lot. Brilliant for monitoring/mixing IMHO, but too cold for extended listening sessions, which is how I use them now. I find them wearing. I've since moved onto the budget-tastic Takstars I found out about through this very forum and haven't looked back since! Which reminds me - must sell my 271s...

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 10
I just place the vandamme a minute ago(same seller as yours), because my oyaide occ  doesn't serve my k7xx (massdrop special edition akg) well, but so good with q701 for pop.  I will see what difference can it make.

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 10
Couldn't find one off the peg, but there's a fella lurking about on the google ads the does a bespoke cable that's been said to be okay!!....I know he does a range of colours and lengths! (Damn that American spell check....its colour not color!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back