Design of a Dynalo Power Supply
Mar 14, 2006 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

damonpip

Head-Fier
I'm building a Dynalo, and right now I'm working on designing a low-cost but reasonably good power supply for it. I've attached a schematic of a tracking voltage regulator from the datasheet for a LM78XX regulator IC. Now, instead of using that IC, I plan to substitute a TI uA723 regulator which provides much better regulation. Substituting these parts in the tracking regulator looks to be fairly straightforward, but I'm wondering if anyone with more experience has any input?

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 5
Substitute the TI part with care. How does it provide better regulation? Has it been tested? Searing for 3 terminal regulators over a DIYAudio shows hundreds of threads where people have implimented it and done some strang things. E.g. Someone was going to replace an LM317 with a part the datasheet claimed had less then half the noise output/V. Yet through careful design and layout an LM317 circuit beat it.

No comment on the tracking though other then that circuit looks just as complex as the Dynalo and Dynahi PSUs so why not just build them?

Mar 15, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 5
Well, maybe I'm just confused about what sort of power supply the Dynalo needs. I thought that both the Dynalo and Dynahi required a tracking power supply like the supply that Kevin Gilmore designed for the Dynahi. However, it seems that the Dynalo actually needs something much less complex. In that case, I guess this thread is irrelevant.

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 5
The dynalo and dynahi amps have a very similar circuit topology. Both have relatively poor power supply rejection. So, very quiet power supplies and tracking circuits are a way to maximize overall performance. I think that a simple LM317 / LM337 circuit or a 7815 / 7915 circuit solution is acceptable. If you want to add a tracking stage after that, it adds a tiny bit more performance. Audible performance? Popular culture/opinion will say yes. Your ears may say no.

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Just to add to dgardner's post, I've used the dynalo with the following PSU's: gilmore PSU, dual treads, a megahertz switching PSU, and an Elpac PSU. Of all of them, the gilmore PSU topology is the most inviting of all the power supplies (sonically that is). As for me, I can hear the subtle differences between the types I mentioned, but as dgardner suggested, you may or may not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back