Desert Island DAP Earbud/headphone/IEM combo
Jan 4, 2018 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

plumpjack

New Head-Fier
Happy New Year! It is 2018 and you must choose 1 system to listen to music on for the rest of your days. DAP, cellphone, whatever, and 1 set of earbuds, headphones, or IEMs.

What's the least expensive kit that will make you happy for your remaining days? Just how cheap can this hobby get and still satisfy you as an audiophile? I'm totally curious to read your answers.

__________________________________________________________________________​

Having been into some other pricey hobbies, I know what it's like to get carried away chasing the next best and more expensive/exclusive thing. Now as a dad with a grip of young kids I'm shifting to the other end of the spectrum and find it as equally enjoyable and interesting as that unattainable end of the spectrum... if not more so. It's fascinating to see what can be done when every penny counts.

Head-Fi has shown me you can have dirt cheap equipment that offers incredible sound quality and satisfaction (Monk +, etc.) at prices that were not even possible when I got into this hobby in the '80s.

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 5
Here's the rig I have for my seven year old, who thus far is the most likely to take up the audiophile hobby. He seems to gravitate to my better gear while his older siblings are content to put potato quality headphones on so long as they look good.

DAP: iPhone 4S 64gb.
Decent user interface, album art, capable of some lossless formats via apps, ok storage. Decent Cirrus Logic DAC built in (I liked the sound of the old Wolfson's better, but...). I last purchased a 64gb used on eBay for right around $49 with shipping. It's generally available cheaper than the same generation iPod Touch models.

Earbuds: Venture Electronics Monk + : $6
or
Sony MDRZX110 headphones: $15

I personally like the Edifier P180's I have a little better, but the Monk sound is a bit more "fun" and I found them a touch easier to listen to for a long session. Sony MDRZX110 are less warm and a bit more analytical, but very enjoyable and comfortable. I might swap the Vido's in here but they are still in transit so I can't say for sure yet.

This puts my desert island rig at $55 with an earbud or $64 with headphones. It's also a real world kit that my son uses daily and enjoys!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 5
Swapping my earbud choice to the Vido earbuds. They just arrived a week ago and I'm completely in love. $1 cheaper than the Monks puts the rig at $54 for something I could enjoy for quite while. Now that stops to make you think.

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 5
new ipod shuffle 2GB 4th Gen. -- $69.99 (big fan of the shuffle)

new KZ ATE $12.99 (terrific value)

$82 .98

Could certainly cut this substantially with used gear, but since I am going to a desert island, I'd prefer to take new stuff with me. ---)

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 5
I’m with @serman005 on this one would have to have a lot of storage as I don’t want to hear the same 100 songs over and over and the KZ ATE’s are just good for $13 and can’t stand earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back