Depth of Ety's in the canal?
Mar 4, 2004 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TeRrAPh0eNiX

100+ Head-Fier
How far do the ER-6s go into the canal in comparison to the EX-71s? I read some reviews on epinions.com and some of them stated that they went veeeeery far into the canal. Since i haven't worn my ex71s for a while; primarily listening to my labtecs (circumaural), I fear i won't find the ER-6s very... usable (for the lack of a better word).

So, that is the question. I would like to have headphones that i can use with my portable mp3 player at school, in cars, airplanes, the like, but are still comfortable. I'd also like to keep my hairstyle
biggrin.gif
, so if i don't have to go for a circum-aural phone (the supra-aurals don't seem very comfortable because of slipping and such).

thanks!

Mar 4, 2004 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 13
Well, the foamies on the ety ER4p works for me. I just haven't got the "guts" up yet to push those silicones in any further. I got them to halfway along the last flange... but no seal... and no more "guts" to try harder.

Foamies... comfort and no hassels.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Mar 4, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 13
I stick mine in really deep. I get a real good seal. This allows the bass to develop and they do have bass if the source material has it. The isolation is one of the hallmarks of this headphone. Especially on the train or in the gym the Etymotic is a real life saver.

Why don't you want the isolation?

Mar 4, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 13
Just jab them up there... it'll be ok. They go way up there, it's quite the challenge to get them out. Basically from the front all you can see is a little wire popping out of your ears.

It did take about a week to get used to having them in my ear for extended periods of time. And about a week to actually realize they do need to go in much deeper than one would expect. But now they're totally comfy for many hours. The seal is great. I put them in at school in the cafeteria and all I hear is my tunes. Everything else just vanishes.

The only weird thing is that most of my friends that walk up to me just don't get the fact that I really can not hear them, not AT ALL. So I tend to give them the "please hold" finger and take one of them out of my ear so I can converse. Annoying to take in and out, yes, but well worth it. The sound is phoenominal for something of that size and price.

Mar 4, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by pspivak

Why don't you want the isolation?

I'll just learn to use my eyes more, then, but all you'll see is an edgy guy constantly looking around him.
600smile.gif

I can't really envision anything going farther into my canal than the EX71, but i'll get used to it. Also, someone mentioned to try one Shure sleeve; i forgot which one it was.
confused.gif

Mar 4, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 13
Once you get used it you won't want to go back to EX71. No, it's not ideal if you are walking or running, but great when you are sitting at cafeteria, passenger of a car or an airplane.

By the way I couldn't help imagining "drowned Ety's floating on canal water" when I saw the thread title....
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by pedxing
Any of the shure or ety earcanal phones will blow the sony EX-71 out of the water.

In sound quality, of course. Totally different class
biggrin.gif
My question was how deep they went into the canal.

An observation i made today while cleaning my ears
600smile.gif
: I was using a q-tip (which i know you're not supposed to use) to clean the outside/near-to-the-front inside, and i probed a little (i couldn't help
biggrin.gif
) and i was absolutely amazed at how far the canal goes. yeah, i went a bit far and slightly nudged my eardrum >_< but it's all good now.

How far exactly do the er-6s go in (or any canalphone for that matter)? Can someone post a pic?

Mar 5, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #11 of 13
terraphoenix,
there is nothing wrong with using q-tips to clean your ears. as long as you use them gently and don't clean too deep down, you're fine. to get the deep down stuff, use the liquid dissolving solution. i've asked many docs about this and they the same as i said. btw, you did not touch your ear drum with the q-tip. for you to do that, you would need a special ear instrument that is bent the way your canal is bent. basically, it is further down in there than you think.

when you push the ety's in your ear canal, do so very slowly until you feel a seal is properly made. snap your fingers next to your ear (about 1 ft. away) and you should barely be able to hear them. some people don't actually need to push them that deep. for ex, with the silicon tips, one doesn't always have to push them in as far as the third tri flange tip. also, if you feel niether tips fit your ears that well, there are different sizes of the foamies and silicon tips (small, medium-what you get with the purchase, and large).

as far as the ety sound quality goes, it is best to give them a chance as you are doing. the concept of canal phones is naturally going to be weird to read about and especially weird when using them for your first time. but they grow on you so much that you'll wonder how you ever did without them. on the right setup they even compete with the big boys (ie Senn600/650's, CD3000, Beyers, etc). i love my Senn 650's the best now, but in some areas the ety's (i own the 4P/S) excell. the ER-6's are a little different than the 4P as far as sound quality goes, but they still offer better sound than most headphones in its price range. this is why you can often read in people's sigs that they proclaim the ety's to be "a god send!"
etysmile.gif

good luck with your ety's!

Mar 5, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #12 of 13
I'd just like to second everything Dan1son said. Exactly my experience. My little brother who works with me at the hospital LOVES to sneak up on me
smily_headphones1.gif
He's tried them so he knows he doesnt even have to been real sneaky
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
terraphoenix,
there is nothing wrong with using q-tips to clean your ears. as long as you use them gently and don't clean too deep down, you're fine. to get the deep down stuff, use the liquid dissolving solution. i've asked many docs about this and they the same as i said. btw, you did not touch your ear drum with the q-tip. for you to do that, you would need a special ear instrument that is bent the way your canal is bent. basically, it is further down in there than you think.

Wow... it really goes down deep, then.
biggrin.gif
twisting the q-tip--not very deep, though--feels odd but good
tongue.gif
I'm sure there are a lot of only lightly used nerve endings in there. Will using canalphones partially de-sensitize them?

Another question: How much does the ER-6 benefit from burning in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back