Depressive metal recommendations
Dec 10, 2008 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

orys

500+ Head-Fier
I shouldn't have put metal as some people will think of only the likes of Katatonia, Mortis, etc
I am very much interested into bands with depressive music. Not just ordinary metal as it can be industrial metal, death, gothic, whatever. I love Katatonia off course and mostly the "Brave Murder Day" album. My Dying Bride's style on the "The angel and the dark river" and "A line of deathless kings" albums and the likes. 3rd and the Mortal, This Empty Flow, Ildfrost, Decoryah, and too many to list Scandinavian bands.
It can also be plain alternative like Justin Sullivan (New Model Army), Sixteen Horsepower, Woven Hand, etc.

Anyone into this music guys?

Thanx in advance
Tio

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 18
Esoteric,full discography is available for free from their website: some fine funeral doom metal, and i generally dislike doom not to mention funeral or even drone....

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 18
These might not be exactly what you are looking for, but based on what I understand from the OP

Scott Walker, Virgin Black, Moonsorrow

Type O Negative and Riverside have some semi-depressing songs as well.

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 18
More on the doom and funeral doom department. I like it slow, crushing and/or depressive with lots of atmosphere. Yes, there are not probaply what you look for, but I cant think of anything else either. I do not listen industrial etc... experimental music.

Bethlehem - Dark Metal album. (great doom metal album. 3rd nocturnal prayer is fantastic song. Too bad the band changed style later...)

Shape Of Despair (good funeral doom metal)
MySpace.com - Shape of despair - Helsinki, FI - Metal / Gothic / Down-tempo - www.myspace.com/shapeofdespair

Depressed Mode - Ghosts Of Devotion album (my old class-mate is in it as a guitarist.
biggrin.gif
Has same female singer has shape of despair btw. No-nonsense S.O.D and My Dying Bride style band)
YouTube - Depressed mode - Words of silence (their amateur music video, but it is only sample I could find from one of their better songs)

Catacombs - In The Depths Of R'lyeh album. (heeeeaaavyyy, crushing beyond belief. subwoofer recommended)
MySpace.com - Catacombs - Down-tempo - www.myspace.com/catacombsfanpage

Nortt (check albums Graven and Ligfaerd, though their whole discography is good IMHO. Piercing, slow, minimalistic but tons of atmospheric pieces/melodies/harmony/whatever. Probaply not for you, but I liked to mention it anyway)
MySpace.com - Nortt - www.myspace.com/norttdk
MySpace.com - Nortt - - Black Metal - www.myspace.com/nortt1

Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea (band inspired by Moby Dick!
biggrin.gif
)
MySpace.com - AHAB - Munich/Mosbach/Heidelberg/Mannheim, DE - Metal / Down-tempo - www.myspace.com/ahabdoom

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 18
A couple:

Skepticism - Lead and Aether
Empyrium - A wintersunset...

wouldnt consider Moonsorrow depressive at all... more epic and majestic.

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 18
Give these a try if you really like to be depressed, lol:

Doom:

Amaranthine Trampler
- (pretty hard to find, as its a demo)...As the Colour of Love Flows From My Shattered Teeth
Funeral - From These Wounds, In Fields of Pestilent Grief, Tragedies, As the Light Does the Shadows
Mistress of the Dead - A whole crapton of albums, but check out the full lengths Here
Nortt - Galgenfrist, Ligfærd, Gudsforladt (all full length, but there are a lot of demos and splits as well)
Remembrance - Frail Visions, Silencing the Moments
Virgin Black - Requiem - Fortissimo, Requiem - Mezzo Forte, Elegant...and Dying, Sombre Romantic

Depressive Black Metal:

Anti - The Insignificance of Life
Abysmal Sorrow - Lament
Encyclopaedia Metallum - Austere (Aus) - Austere/Lyrinx split 2008 (aka Only The Wind Remembers - Ending The Circle Of Life)
Deep-pression - The Critical State of Loneliness
Fäulnis - Letharg
Karna - Voron (Raven)
Isolation - Hier Am Ende Der Welt
Kyla - The Glory of Negativity
Leaden - Monotonous Foghorns of Molesting Department
Marblebog - Deep Horizons of Eternity (Split with Lascowiec and Vérzivatar)
Nyktalgia - Nyktalgia
Shining - any and all; full length, demo, ep, whatever. Excellent.
Todeskult - Als die Farben alter wurden, Apathy (just the full lengths, the demo isn't that great)
Trist - Pretty much anything you can find, its not easy.

That'll get you deeper into the depressive black metal and funeral doom scenes, but if you're not into an extreme and sometimes poorly produced sound, be careful if you plan to buy. Check out the myspaces or previews available from the bands first.

Disclaimer: I don't support the majority of the subject matter that the aforementioned bands preach, as some glorify self-destructive behavior. Stay in it for the music only, not the actual ideas professed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 18
I like Type O Negative. The strange thing about them is you think they're depressing at first, but as you listen to the lyrics you realize how funny and ironically upbeat they are.
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 18
Agalloch has some of the qualities you may be seeking. In my opinion one of the best bands these days.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by orys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I shouldn't have put metal as some people will think of only the likes of Katatonia, Mortis, etc
I am very much interested into bands with depressive music. Not just ordinary metal as it can be industrial metal, death, gothic, whatever. I love Katatonia off course and mostly the "Brave Murder Day" album. My Dying Bride's style on the "The angel and the dark river" and "A line of deathless kings" albums and the likes. 3rd and the Mortal, This Empty Flow, Ildfrost, Decoryah, and too many to list Scandinavian bands.
It can also be plain alternative like Justin Sullivan (New Model Army), Sixteen Horsepower, Woven Hand, etc.

Anyone into this music guys?

Thanx in advance
Tio

Katatonia are depressive? News to me. They sound pretty upbeat actually.

Try listening to these, and get back to me with your idea of depressive:

Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium
Disembowelment - Transcendence into the Peripheral
Weakling - Dead as Dreams
Silencer - Death Pierce Me
Neurosis - Souls at Zero

Even Joy Division is depressive.

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #12 of 18
Since Esoteric was also mentioned, i'll recommend these doom albums for some pure depression, despair, and an overbearing stream of constant negativity:

Doom:VS - Aeturnum Vale
Ataraxie - Slow Transcending Agony
Evoken - Antithesis of Light

frown.gif

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #15 of 18
one might also try apart from those mentioned

Alice in Chains (have a lot of depressing songs)
Draconian -Arcane Rain Fell
Doom: VS - The Light That Would Fade
Elegeion - The Last Moment
Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation
Saturnus
Shape of Despair
Skumring

enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back