Depressed People in Depressing Jobs
Aug 11, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #31 of 60
most people i know either hate, dislike, or merely tolerate their job. from what i can gather, few actually enjoy their current employment.

Aug 11, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #32 of 60
I can't say i am depressed in my job but i definately don't enjoy it and if i can find something better will go for that but looking at the paper alot of times i realise i would just leave for the sake of leaving, not because i actually wanted to do the other job so stay.

one day hopefully i will find something i enjoy but for most people i feel it is only for money so they can afford to live.

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #33 of 60
My girlfriend works in a job she is good at and really enjoys (childrens Librarian). She would do it for nothing. A rare thing, I'm sure. I think its a case where she accidentally fell into her calling, lucky girl.

My last job towards the end was making me miserable. By the end I had completely lost my sense of humor.

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #35 of 60
Most people work because they have too not through choice.

So try to be happy and make everyone else happy!

This way work my be more of a choice than a choir!

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #36 of 60
How does bartending make the list?

Everytime I fill in it's like i am going away on a fishing trip, The more i throw my lure in the water the more money and attention i get. I gain like 10 ego points to myself after every night i do it..

then again if your not rolling panache or work in a dead bar with no fishies swimming up stream and all you get are people that wanna talk about their lifes problems then i can see it getting bad.
yesterday i filled in two shifts and I got 3 ladies that just wanted to talk about how their boyfriends are this and that. I just say "uhh huh" while i am thinking what color Rapala I see reeling this one in...i am so joking btw.

but Bartending is Fun, you get paid to stand around and make people laugh and forget their problems.

Aug 11, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I start my "real" engineering job tomorrow. I'm incredibly depressed... I have to leave for work at 6:30 AM
tongue.gif

Haha, I bet you live too far away from your workplace? I've done that for two summers, so even though I don't have a "real" engineering job yet, I know that I'm going to have to live close to work when I do get one.

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, we do lurk everywhere.
very_evil_smiley.gif

And yeah, the work can be a drag. I went in the office at 4PM yesterday and got out at 2:30AM this morning. Might have to go back. The corporate stuff is a slog and sometimes feels meaningless.

When you get to partner, you can slave your associates
evil_smiley.gif

7th year associates and junior partners are the most depressed
frown.gif

However, the patent attorneys I work with are the happiest bunch of people. Most get to work in their own field of engineering and many get to see the 'coolest' gizmo before the public.... many have told me they are doing more engineering as attorney than they had ever done as an engineer... how can you beat that?

Good luck!

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #40 of 60
Medical staff people are depressed because they're around people (Doctors) who treat them like idiots, do 1/10th the work and make 50 times as much. You wouldn't need a study to confirm that, just take a step back and look at the situation.

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Medical staff people are depressed because they're around people (Doctors) who treat them like idiots, do 1/10th the work and make 50 times as much. You wouldn't need a study to confirm that, just take a step back and look at the situation.

I have heard this over and over again. I know the medical staff isn't making much money, but with control by the HMO's, are the doctors really making that much more these days?

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard this over and over again. I know the medical staff isn't making much money, but with control by the HMO's, are the doctors really making that much more these days?

I know a buddy of mine who is a heart surgeon, is making 7 digits. Another who is a pediatrician is making high 6 figures. Granted, both of them are fairly senior in their field, but still, they're not even on a board or anything, and making a KILLING. Err....bad choice of words, lol.

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #43 of 60
I still think relatively speaking top-tier lawyers make more than top-tier docs, although lawyering in general is more competitive (more depressing?)

How about making $600k but doing nothing but document review for 12hrs a day 6 days a week, and you are in your mid 30s. Is that depressing?

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still think relatively speaking top-tier lawyers make more than top-tier docs, although lawyering in general is more competitive (more depressing?)

How about making $600k but doing nothing but document review for 12hrs a day 6 days a week, and you are in your mid 30s. Is that depressing?

Top tier lawyers make much more than top tier docs. There's a hard limit on how many procedures you can do and teaching positions you can take as a doc. There's no limit on how much you can sue for...
icon10.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #45 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know a buddy of mine who is a heart surgeon, is making 7 digits. Another who is a pediatrician is making high 6 figures. Granted, both of them are fairly senior in their field, but still, they're not even on a board or anything, and making a KILLING. Err....bad choice of words, lol.

I am surprised that the HMO's haven't reigned in this cost. But if the number of these types of doctors are in short supply, there is nothing that the HMO's can do about it. And as a waiter, the most depressing job, I can not afford to even get a physical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back