Deployment sound help
Jan 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hyg71886

Head-Fier
I am currently in the middle east and have my AT-M50s but no amp for them. My altoid(jds) amp is home and I wanted something new since in a few monthsI will purchase the Ultrasone Pro 900 S. Do you think the e17 is a good amp? Also would it be worth getting the e9k dock as well? This will be used with my ipod classic and hp envy 6 laptop

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 9
I have the ATH-M50 and I don't think amping would help much. ( have the Pico Slim/E-17 and the ELE-Dac ). I'm not sure if I have the right amp though but since your deployed, check your Base Xchange for Vmoda M80. I just scored one for $119 in Kandahar. They still have few left when i bought mine.

Cheers!.. be safe..

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
i had an amp at home and it def helped i dont think the pod provides enough power. u think the m80 is better then the pro 900

I use my M50's as my portable cans and I like to use a Fiio E6 with them. Not the best amp on the market for obviously reasons, but I think it pairs well with my M50's, it's tiny, and it's super cheap. The volume boost is perfect with my Blackberry and the "blue" EQ setting (for the low end) really tightens up the bass on the M50's.

The E17 is an excellent device (I use it at home at my desktop) but you will have trouble getting use out of the DAC with the iPod.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Ok well i will be using it with my laptop when im in my room, il only use the portable at the gym and walking about. What do u think of the e9k home amp by fiio

The E17 will do a great job with your laptop, you should see a nice improvement from on board. If you have a nice sound card in your lap top already then the improvement would be marginal, if any depending on the sound card and your tastes. In order for it to work with the iPhone (might be the same for the iPod? Not sure 100% since I don't own any Apple products) you need to have it jailbroken, you need a special adapter, and some kind of app. 

The E09K is a more powerful amp then the one in the E17, but also isn't portable at all. It is also just an amp and not a dac, so you will be relying on the lap tops on board sound as your source. The E09K and E17 both use different amp's so the sound is different. Some people have said they prefer the E09K to the E17, some like the sound of them together, some like the E17 better by itself. It really just depends on you and what you like, the best thing to do is try and hear them for yourself to decide.

Your headphones aren't that demanding, so a stronger amp wouldn't really be needed in my opinion. It depends on if you want the dac or not from the E17. In my opinion the E17 is a better value on it's own then the E09K is. The amp/dac combo is really nice in one device especially if you don't have a nice sound card. The annoying thing is finding a way to hook it up to the iPod.

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 9
Its a HP envy 6 with beats audio so I think it will be an upgrade over the onboard sound. The other reason I wanted that combo is because someone reviewed the e17 with the pro 900 kees mod and really liked it.

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Ok well i will be using it with my laptop when im in my room, il only use the portable at the gym and walking about. What do u think of the e9k home amp by Fiio

The headphones your looking to use, Ultrasone Pro 900 S, are only 40-Ohms, so chances are the E17 will do a better job driving them then the E09K.
(The E17 benefits the Ultrasone Pro 900 S, as the E17 has a very low impedance)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back