Deonon AH-C551? Jays q-Jays? UE 700s? Who knows...
Nov 17, 2009 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rbrtlrkn

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using a 16gb iPod Nano with my music generally encoded to V0, and will be upgrading to a 160gb iPod Classic or 80gb iPod Video soon. I will absolutely not be using an amplifier, I just want to plug in and enjoy. I was originally hesitant to order from the internet, but I give in and will be ordering from somewhere in the UK.

What I listen to:

itsrobagain’s Music Profile – Users at Last.fm

A lot of indie/shoegaze/twee/indiepop. A very solid amount of sudbued singer/songwriter type stuff. A decent amount of experimental/avant garde/noise music, and when I say noise I mean the likes of Tim Hecker, **** Buttons, etc. I would lean more towards a pleasant, warmer tone than to a coarsely analytical tone.

I have a pair of Denon AH-C551s on my desk, that cost me £50 and I can return if I want to. I just got them so if I decided I want them I would have something to play with tonight, but I've got the receipt and all that.

I could get a pair of Jays q-Jays, at £89.

I could get a pair of Monster Turbine for £89

I could get the Klipsch Image X5s, at £125.

I could get a pair of Ultimate Ears 700s, at £129.

Or anything else you suggest. Any opinions on what I should do?

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 6
Klipsch S4. I'm happy w/ them brand new. Not even going to bother 'burning them in.' And they are the most comfortable IEMs extant. They give the impression of not having anything in your ears, both in sonic and physical terms. Really exceptional for <$100. Dunno the poundage tho.

My C551 sound like dog pooh in comparison.

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 6
q-JAYS sound wonderful but I had to return mine twice and they broke again but now that they're out of warranty I had to get something new. I just ordered the UE700 which are supposed to be slightly better than q-JAYS and hopefully will be more durable.

Another thing about q-JAYS even if you are the most careful person in the world eventually the filters that come with them will wear out and you'll be forced to buy more. I feel like that's a serious design flaw because metal mesh seems like the better solution in the long run for both ease of cleaning/maintaining and protecting the delicate parts of the headphone.

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby2131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
q-JAYS sound wonderful but I had to return mine twice and they broke again but now that they're out of warranty I had to get something new. I just ordered the UE700 which are supposed to be slightly better than q-JAYS and hopefully will be more durable.

Another thing about q-JAYS even if you are the most careful person in the world eventually the filters that come with them will wear out and you'll be forced to buy more. I feel like that's a serious design flaw because metal mesh seems like the better solution in the long run for both ease of cleaning/maintaining and protecting the delicate parts of the headphone.

Dear Bobby,

We have since this summer changed all cables to much better quality and done tweaks to lower the filter changes. We do however believe it is in the end better for the customer to be able to change the filters than not because if the metal net gets clogged it might be hard to do anything at all and I'm not sure other brands will cover that on warranty meaning a maybe 200USD product becomes useless. In our case you at least are able to change them yourself to a much lower cost than new earbuds. We add 8 pair of filters in the retail pack and if you buy extras they include 12 pairs. I change the filters around every third month and I use them everyday around 1h. But it is very individual. The more you use in-ears the more ear wax your ears produce and the more problems you normally get if not cleaning them with pharmaceutic liquid every 4-6 months. Cotton pins are to avoid since this is only pushing the ears wax deeper into the ear and might cause worse problems than clogged filters in the end.

If you have your q-JAYS left and they are within 24 months I would be glad to replace them for you. Just send me an email.

Best Regards Peter

Nov 18, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by PetCed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Bobby,

If you have your q-JAYS left and they are within 24 months I would be glad to replace them for you. Just send me an email.

Best Regards Peter

This is what i like about the jays customer service. I got cable problems too in the past with my d jays and they were being replaced straight away, no questions asked, as long they are within 2 years. Unlike my IE8s in Sennheiser Singapore which i was told to purchase their replaceable cable again although my iems are only 11 months old.

Its only when i told them about my experience with the d days, then they are willing to replace the cables under warranty. Even so, i have to keep calling and emailing them to receive any updates . I did not encounter any of these problems with the jays customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back