Denons AH-D5000/D2000 vs Edition 9 anyone?
Jul 23, 2007 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

vvs_75

500+ Head-Fier
I believe that brief (several tracks) experience during the meeting can’t give any headphone true judgement!

Since Ultrasone Edt.9 getting more and more attention, it would be interesting to hear opinions from people who own/owned or had in position both Edt. 9 and D5000/D2000 headphones at the same time for at list a week or so?
Can really Denons stand against Edition 9?

Jul 23, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that brief (several tracks) experience during the meeting can’t give any headphone true justice!

Since Ultrasone Edt.9 getting more and more attention, it would be interesting to hear opinions from people who own/owned or had in position both Edt. 9 and D5000/D2000 headphones at the same time for at list a week or so?
Can really Denons stand against Edition 9?

Wow great question. I had sold my D2000's, but found a solution to the headband being too big for my head. I was about to rebuy them, but they were on backorder at the factory level. In the meantime, the Edition 9's caught my eye.

I'm expecting them to be delivered to my desk here at the office any ol' hour now. >:]

I'm watching this thread with curiosity!

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 41
If you didn't have them long enough to make true judgement, that doesn't mean you can't post one! Any opinions WELCOME!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. In the meantime, the Edition 9's caught my eye.

I'm expecting them to be delivered to my desk here at the office any ol' hour now. >:]

I'm watching this thread with curiosity!

Where did you buy them from?

Is it possible to get Edt. 9 around 1K?

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

If you didn't have them long enough to make true judgement, that doesn't mean you can't post one! Any opinions WELCOME!!!

Where did you buy them from?

Is it possible to get Edt. 9 around 1K?

I thought the D2000's sounded pretty good... but I didn't even have them through the full break-in period. I'm still waiting for the E9's also, so I don't even have initial opinions on them.

And yeah, Northern Sound and Light has them for about $1100. That was just about the max I was about to pay for them, too.

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 41
Okay so right of the box, I'm really enjoying the sound signature out of these. I can't wait for them to break in. If the sound is going to improve from here, I'm pretty sure I can see where the extra dollars went.

While I do like the clamping force of these over the loose fit of the D2000's, they do seem a bit cramped inside. A couple folks mentioned that the Editions have a similar fit to the Bose Triport, but I actually prefer the fit of the Triports. They cup the ears tightly (around the perimeter) and do a good job of not actually touching the ears. I can feel my ears touching the insides of these cups.

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 41
[size=x-small]The best way I can describe the difference between the Denon D2000 and Ultrasone Edition 9 is the UE9s are what the Denons want to be when they grow up. The Denons are that guy you hung around with in school who had natural baseball talent but was a little rough around the edges from lack of training and experience. The Ultrasones are what that guy grew up to be after 3 years in the minors and 5 years in the majors. Still the same guy but his natural ability has been honed and polished into something extraordinary that few other players can match.[/size]
[size=x-small]
[/size]
[size=x-small]My Denons are well-used as I listen to them at work 5 days a week for 4-8 hours a day. I have about 150 hours on my UE9s and they reportedly take anywhere from 200-400 hours to burn-in but I can compare what I hear in their current condition.[/size]
[size=x-small]
[/size]
[size=x-small]Bass: the bass is what first attracted me to the Denons. I was amazed to find cans that presented the entire sound spectrum instead of making me choose parts of it. The Denon bass is low and punchy with a touch of sloppiness that is endearing and doesn't detract from the overall sound. The UE9 bass goes lower than the Denons and is tighter with superb impact and clarity without overshadowing the other frequencies.[/size]
[size=x-small]
[/size]
[size=x-small]Mids: the Denon mids are good, not great, with adequate detail and soundstage to really enjoy the music. The UE9 mids have more detail and amazing width of soundstage. The Denon mids can sound very slightly recessed on some songs. The UE9 mids are neither recessed nor forward and are balanced with the lows and highs. [/size][size=x-small]My ears tell me there is some trickery going on with the mids and I assume it's the S-Logic people like to poke fun at, but it's subtly there and takes some getting used to. [/size][size=x-small]They have an airy, hollow tone to them that kind of simulates a larger soundstage.[/size]

[size=x-small]Treble: the Denon treble is good, not great, and if I had to pick a weak point in their sound it would be that the treble extension is rolled off. The UE9 treble goes higher than my ears can hear before rolling off, but out of the box the highs are harsh and shrill. As they've burned in the UE9 treble has mellowed a lot but still has some shrillness on certain songs. I expect it to go away entirely but we shall see.[/size]
[size=x-small]
[/size]
[size=x-small]Soundstage: the Denons, as usual, are good but not great here. They do everything well without any single outstanding characteristic. The Edition 9s have a wide soundstage that is slightly more 3-dimensional than any cans I've heard. Again, I assume this is due at least in part to the S-Logic. I've noticed when I used the crossfeed on my Opera that the soundstage on the Denons (and any other headphone I've used with crossfeed) narrows in order to increase the depth. The UE9s resist the narrowing effects of the crossfeed so the width is barely affected while the depth is subtly increased. I'm not sure I like the effect at this point but it does make older music (Jimi Hendrix, CCR, etc) sound even better than just using the crossfeed alone.[/size]
[size=x-small]
[/size]
[size=x-small]Comfort: the D2000s are a well-used pair of work gloves that are so comfortable you forget you're wearing them. The UE9s are an expensive pair of driving gloves that hug your hands so you can feel every detail of the road transferred through the steering wheel. The Denons have a light clamping force and large, cushioned cups that feel like a pillow on your head. The UE9s aggressively clamp on to your head and press the soft leather cups tightly around your ears. The earcups are small inside and crowd my ears so they do get sore after hours of listening.[/size]

[size=x-small]Are the Edition 9s worth 4-5 times as much as the D2000s? Make that call yourself, but if I'd never bought another pair of cans the D2000s would be fine. However, there was something that made me buy the Ultrasones. Insanity? Make that call yourself as well.
icon10.gif

[/size]

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 41
Yeah. Must be insanity. Why did I buy these damn headphones?

Honestly, though, I'd be a lot happier with them if they didn't cramp my ears. The clamping force around my head is fine -- especially with that nice leather -- but why do the cups have to be so shallow inside?

Even right out of the box, though, they do sound pretty incredible.

Jul 23, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 41
I am loving my UE9s...I sold my ATH-W5000 after getting these and kept the AT-HA5000 amp.

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 41
Thank you Hardwired for taking time to write this nice review!
That's what I hopped to hear!

Did you ears get used to the Edt. 9 over the time?

OK, One last question!

Let's assume that EU9s and JVC Victor have same level of comfort and you can have just one headphone
evil_smiley.gif

Which one would you keep and why?

Jul 25, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Thank you Hardwired for taking time to write this nice review!
That's what I hopped to hear!

Did you ears get used to the Edt. 9 over the time?

OK, One last question!

Let's assume that EU9s and JVC Victor have same level of comfort and you can have just one headphone
evil_smiley.gif

Which one would you keep and why?

My ears are still fighting with the E9s. Or the outside of my ears are fighting to get them off, and the inside of my ears want to keep them on.
biggrin.gif
The cups are just too small for my ears so I'll have to adjust. It's silly that cans this nice have such tiny earcups.

In fact I would equate the comfort of the DX1000s and UE9s on my head so it's easy just to pick the one that sounds better. The DX1000 earcups also seem to crowd my ears but I'm not sure how as they are huge. The headbands on both cans bother my head after awhile. The Denons win hands-down for comfort.

Between the JVCs and Ultrasones I would pick the E9s. The bass, mids, and highs are all better. Twice as good? No, but better.

I thought the D2000 bass was incredible. Then I thought the DX1000 bass was even better. Now the UE9 bass is even better than that. Add smoother highs (they have finally mellowed out at 175 hours) and a smoother, slightly more forward midrange and it's no contest.

The only slight annoyance remaining is a bit of boominess around the 100-150 Hz range and a touch of the EQ takes care of that. Further use may clear that up along the way.

Jul 25, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 41
I have a similar collection of headphones as Hardwired, and also have similar impressions. For me, the overall comparison would rank Edition 9 > JVC DX1000 > Denon D5000. I think the JVC's are very open sounding with the best rendition of space, soundstage, and instrumental decay. They also have a very even tonal balance, with terrific bass texture, tonality, and detail, but have coloration in the midrange. The treble is totally non-fatiguing with no excess sibilance. The Denon's are similar with a more neutral tonal balance but the soundstage is a little flat in comparison and I find sibilance to be slightly exaggerated. The Edition 9's have more bass weight, and better delineation of instrumental outlines (imaging). What has separated the Edition 9's for me is that subjective "wow" factor. These are the ONLY headphones in my experience for which I have had goosebumps while listening. Now, I can objectively break down all of the headphones as much as you want, but for me, the "goosebump effect" is a telltale sign of which headphone is the best.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 41
I'm still breakin mine in, but I love em with the MicroDAC + Hornet. I know there is still room to grow, so I'm contemplating the next upgrade.

As far as the cramped ear space goes, Sovkiller recommended to me via IM a simple mod that I haven't heard mentioned anywhere on the forums yet! He said to take two pieces of cable about the length of the diameter of the cup and stick it under the back of the ear cup, pushed all the way back. I destroyed 3 wire gadgets in all -- the third and final one being a full-fledged computer power cord. I thought it was too thick at first, but it turns out that it fits under the pad quite nicely and gives me plenty of room in there. I think the ear still touches, but it's so light at this point that it's a non-issue. (It was really applying the pressure before the mod.)

Anyway, I'm still getting acquainted with them, but I'll probably start my own Edition 9 thread some time soon and mention this mod, obviously. It could be the mod that saves these phones for me.

Edit: PM I meant... not IM.

Jul 25, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as the cramped ear space goes, Sovkiller recommended to me via IM a simple mod...

Thanks Sovkiller grumble grumble
wink.gif

Glad to hear they sound great! Gotta get a pair of the ed9s and in the meantime I'll try that trick on my 750s.

Jul 25, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 41
Lots of manufacturers listening what consumers think and want these days!

So may be it's a good idea ask ultrasone manufacture to make replacement pads for Edt 9 in few sizes so everybody can buy additional pads appropriate to his ears?

Just a thought!
cool.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #15 of 41
4N6: I have had the same experience regarding goose bumps!

I had the opportunity today to listen to the Edition 9, JVC DX1000, Denon D2000 and compare them against my reference headphones (Senns HD650 and AKG K701) driven by a RSA Tomahawk (high gain) and iPod nano/lossless. The conclusion: Edition 9 headphones are the less forgiving of poor recordings among the list BUT they really get you into the music. Classical in particular, I did have goose bumps which is very very rare when I listen to headphones. Plus I was in a store with some background noise. I can't imagine at home through my home amp (Opera)! I also believe the highs will be much smoother out of the Opera than through the nano/Tomahawk. Those headphones deserve some serious source and amplification apparently.

Quick comparisons against the Edition 9:
- AKG K701 lack major body which is ok when you listen to them exclusively but when switching to the Ultrasone, there's no going back.
- Senns 650 are really comfortable soundwise. I actually feel they're "close" tonally to the ultrasone but just very mellow. Nice in itself (especially for bad recordings) but quite boring relative to the ultrasone. It just does not move me. Also bass is good but neither as tight or "realistic" as the Ultrasone.
- JVC DX1000 have a nice bass, rather warm sound. But I had a problem with the midrange: it sounds cavernous, hollow. The same feeling I got with many closed headphones (AKG K271 for example). I thus quickly skipped this one. The JVC and Ultrasone are in two different leagues IMO.
- Denon D2000: I did not like them so much because the bass wasn't too firm and the soundstage was quite poor (left / center / right). Overall, the tonal balance is a bit hi-fi I feel (boosted bass and treble, recessed midrange). But they had that kick (you guys call it prat I guess?) that made them more lively than the Senns, sort of reminiscent of the Ultrasone in fact.

The price of Edition 9 is really steep but I almost handed out the credit card today after couple of hours of listening... There are actually good chances I am going to visit there again soon and step out with the Edition 9 in my arms........

arnaud.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a similar collection of headphones as Hardwired, and also have similar impressions. For me, the overall comparison would rank Edition 9 > JVC DX1000 > Denon D5000. I think the JVC's are very open sounding with the best rendition of space, soundstage, and instrumental decay. They also have a very even tonal balance, with terrific bass texture, tonality, and detail, but have coloration in the midrange. The treble is totally non-fatiguing with no excess sibilance. The Denon's are similar with a more neutral tonal balance but the soundstage is a little flat in comparison and I find sibilance to be slightly exaggerated. The Edition 9's have more bass weight, and better delineation of instrumental outlines (imaging). What has separated the Edition 9's for me is that subjective "wow" factor. These are the ONLY headphones in my experience for which I have had goosebumps while listening. Now, I can objectively break down all of the headphones as much as you want, but for me, the "goosebump effect" is a telltale sign of which headphone is the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back