Denon new DA-310 USB DAC/amp
Oct 23, 2016 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pokemonn

1000+ Head-Fier

specific info will be released early november.

Amp section uses new Qualcomm DDFA full digital headphone amp.
DAC(for PCM) section uses Advanced AL32 Processing Plus. http://www.denon.com/pages/GlossaryDetail.aspx?GId=13

- 1 USB input: up to 11.2Mhz DSD and 384khz/32bit PCM
- 2 Optical and 1 Coax input: up to 192khz/24bit PCM
- 3 gain settings(DA-300USB has no gain setting)
- 0.5dB step digital attenuator
- Direct-coupled amplifier
- RCA audio out: BB PCM1795 32bits DAC chip
- Audiophile grade parts
- Size 180W x 65H x 180D(mm)
- Weight 1.5kg

http://www.phileweb.com/news/audio/201610/22/17957.html (in japanese)

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 14
I got Denon DA-310USB today and wanted to share my thoughts on it. 
The packing box is bulky and filled with Japanese stickers.

What's inside the box:

- DA-310USB unit
- power supply + adapters
- USB and RCA cables
- Manuals and warranty sheets
- 4 x metal poly-caps for screwing

There is a micro-SD card looking slot though I don't see it being mentioned on manual. Maybe it's used for firmware update?

The foots can be unscrewed easily and replaced with the metal/poly caps.
Instructions below:
http://manuals.denon.com/DA310USB/JP/JA/WBSPSYmatoliba.php

I like to set it up vertically :)

There are 2 touch points: the signal button allows you to switch between different inputs. 
When the headphone button is pressed once, it will display the current gain setting.
If you click twice, gain selection will be available(  a clicking sound will be heard when a different gain is used).
Buttons will light up whenever the source or headphone jack is plugged in.

USB driver setup is pretty much the same as other DAC/amp combos. The driver can be downloaded from Denon's official website:
http://www.denon.jp/jp/product/hificomponents/usbdaconverters/da310usb

Impressions
My impressions for Denon's DA-310USB is positive so far.
I threw IEMs and headphones on it and everything sounds neutral or close to flat.
For most sensitive IEMs (used for testing purpose), hiss would be audible. I personally don't think IEMs need this kind of serious amplification so there's that.
Headphones ( 25 Ω to 300  Ω) are dead silent and the background is clean.

I use low gain for low to mid impedance headphones. With HD800, I only needed half way on mid gain setting to get a comfortable volume.
The design is quite aesthetic for me although it weighs 1.5Kg.
Volume knob feels solid and the volume adjustment is  ± 0.5 dB. It's too precise for my liking but great for the majority of audiophiles.

Overall I think DA-310USB is a well-designed headphone DAC/amp combo if you do not care about balanced connection. With variety of inputs and functionalities, Denon's DA-310USB is definitely a good consideration.

Manufacture specs:
■ ヘッドホン出力

定格出力:   380 mW + 380 mW(32 Ω、1 kHz、T.H.D 0.7 %) 
  130 mW + 130 mW(300 Ω、1 kHz、T.H.D 0.7 %) 
  74 mW + 74 mW(600 Ω、1 kHz、T.H.D 0.7 %) 
出力端子: ヘッドホン:負荷 8 ~ 600 Ω 
全高調波歪率: 0.003 %(32 Ω、1 kHz) 
S/N比: 112 dB(32 Ω、1 kHz、IHF-A) 
周波数特性: 5 Hz ~ 80 kHz(32 Ω、-3 dB)

MSRP:​
68,000 円​

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 14
As a fan of DA-10 I love to try this however I like to see its implementation in portable audio. Denon can we see a Denon DA-100, JVC did it why can't you?

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 14

I think the analog output volume is fixed but haven't tried it yet on my own. I have been using this thing since arrival and start liking the precise volume control.

Edit: Confirmed that volume knob is for headphone out only.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 14
Dear all, I got mine few days ago.

I have to said, I'm quite impressive by their new work!

Although the sound base still like the same with DA-300, but I like it better than DA-300

I have tried it with Denton D7200 and Beydynamice T1 2nd,

I like the way how it expressed the soundstage and make everything sound so natural.

While using Denon D7200, the sound is really powerful,

For Beydynamics T1 2nd, it create a really relaxed sound, especially when listening to Jason Mars " I'm yours"

I'm pleased that I bought this as my new DAC. Sharing my pleasure to all.

(I think Denon d7200 is also quite good, looking forward to have one)

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 14
well~I will say, it's much better than DA300

especially soundstage, I feel it's bigger than DA300

and also DA310 can easily drive high resistance headphone, such as T1, HD650,...etc...

DA310 sound more powerful while using T1 compare with DA300

though, it's just what I feel...

May 10, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #13 of 14
It is not yet available in Hong Kong.Finally,I purchased one from Amazon this week. The sound signature is very similar to Sony wm1a, using my old denon D2000 cans.
With my limited knowledge , I read from some Japanese websites.
I find it interesting that there is no " dac " in action, the pcm1795 is not necessarily functioning for the headphone output. Rather, the FPGA do the job digitally, and passes to DDFA chip for power amplifying, all the way is digital.
The pcm1795 is only for line out.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 14
It is not yet available in Hong Kong.Finally,I purchased one from Amazon this week. The sound signature is very similar to Sony wm1a, using my old denon D2000 cans.
With my limited knowledge , I read from some Japanese websites.
I find it interesting that there is no " dac " in action, the pcm1795 is not necessarily functioning for the headphone output. Rather, the FPGA do the job digitally, and passes to DDFA chip for power amplifying, all the way is digital.
The pcm1795 is only for line out.
lol sorry to revive this thread. I've been using Denon D2000 for a while now and have been thinking to upgrade to D5200. Then I noticed on Japanese Amazon there is a combo deal if you buy D5200 together with DA-310.

My first impression was like whatttttttttt Denon makes DAC/AMP?????

So now my question is:

Is it worth it to get the DA-310 for my D2000? Would I notice a difference compare to my current DAC/AMP which is a Dragonfly Red?

Or should I just get the D5200 and forget about the DA-310?

Or WHY NOT BOTH???? (Get the combo deal of D5200 and DA-310)

I've also read many posts about D2000 even though it's only 25 Ohm but actually require a lot of power to amp it "properly" hence a lot of people recommend Grace M900 DAC/AMP combo. Would DA-310 also qualify as a valid source to "amp it properly"?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back