Denon DCP-150: Repairing the King of All PCDPs
Sep 20, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Looks like you might have to resort to using a fat rubber band to hold the lid close.

One of the many excellent accessories that came with the CD player was a thick rubber band, so at least I've got that covered.

Sep 20, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
One of the many excellent accessories that came with the CD player was a thick rubber band, so at least I've got that covered.

You can always substitue that with a scrunchie to make things more interesting and exciting.

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #19 of 23
A scrunchie...heh, that's one tweak I think I'll avoid.
tongue.gif

And now after all that work it suddenly has stopped working. You've got to be kidding me. So now I get to pull this thing apart again and see what the heck is wrong now.

Shouldn't have opened it back up. Oy.

Oct 9, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #20 of 23
And suddenly I realize the DCP-150 has a hold switch. <<whistles innocently>>
biggrin.gif

Anyways...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT
Here a drawing of the dcp-100 it's part 16 [caution dcp-150 and dcp-100 share some part but some are different. For example the green switch it's a different part and system in the dcp-100]

part16.jpg

Would the service manual happen to list the specific name/part numbers for both part 16 and the volume potentiometer for the DCP-100? I know they won't be exactly the same as those for the DCP-150, but I'm going to see if I can find direct replacements for both in the DCP-150 parts available at PartSolver. They list a "LOCK PLATE" and a "HOLD PLATE LOCK ASSY" for the 150, which might be what I'm looking for.

Oct 9, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

And suddenly I realize the DCP-150 has a hold switch. <<whistles innocently>>
biggrin.gif

Anyways...

LOL happen to me sometime also

Quote:

Would the service manual happen to list the specific name/part numbers for both part 16 and the volume potentiometer for the DCP-100? I know they won't be exactly the same as those for the DCP-150, but I'm going to see if I can find direct replacements for both in the DCP-150 parts available at PartSolver. They list a "LOCK PLATE" and a "HOLD PLATE LOCK ASSY" for the 150, which might be what I'm looking for.

Part 16 is 4330542205 "LOCK ANCHOR" [Partsolver]

POT is 2110638001 (VR401)volume 10kohms ---> replace by 2110638014 [PartSolver]

However some part even listed cannot be ordered. I tried to order a couple of part from some other internet shop (vancebaldwin) a while ago and it end up no availible after all. Hope you have better lock with partsolver.

Jan 15, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #22 of 23
I just got a DCP-150 the other day.

Annoyingly its not in the best shape. Its headphone out is shot too.. only audible on min and max settings or there abouts.. on min its usually only 1 channel.. turn it up slowly and it switches to the opposite channel.. all the while with full volume crackles coming in with movement and sometimes even touching the volume.

Also it initially wouldn't spin up the CD at all.. its since started doing that and even playing stuff (hence me discovering afterwards that the headphone out didn't work)

Since then i had about 4 CDs where it worked.. trying it again tonight and it worked.. and then part way thorugh.. it started to stutter and stutter and either stay that way or eventually just go silent again.

I've took the bottom of the player off and was wondering if there is another plan of attack.. It'd be nice to take it apart proper to a point and see if anything looks obviously wrong. Can you take it apart from the lid side and have a good look at the drive mechanism and all things from the top of the board, or do you have to go in from the bottom.. i could see more screws but it had gotten to the point of having to remove the main circuit board which didn't really appeal..

Cheers..

This is perhaps my first 2nd hand audio product failiure!!! will it make me more cautious from now on?!? I dunno.. can't help but
frown.gif
for now though.

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #23 of 23
Not that you guys even read this thread anymore. But I have 2 mint DCP-150's and one heavily used DCP-100 (I used the DCP-100 as my portable and could never bear to use the DCP-150's when I had the DCP-100 as a beater..) the two DCP-150's were going to be part of a special portable mixing project which I never even started. They have sat in my den since the mid 1980's. I now want a great set of headphones and a nice amp. So I am selling them. and no..unless you have an Orpheus... I am not interested in trades. LOL

In the original Boxes with everything included. Drop me an email. And yes... it is the BEST sound you can get from a CD in ANY portable and nothing comes close..the Sony 777 can not hold a candle to it..I owned both.. the comparision was amazing... the DCP 100 trounced the Sony 777 and could play louder with less distortion even through amplified speakers... I have no idea why. The DCP-150 sounds even better and has the coveted digital out. If you are inventive you can gang together the new high density nickel metal hydride batteries to use hte existing battery bays... but frankly the DCP's are not for walking about- they have no anti skip buffer...which is one reason why they sound so great. Perfect for planes and trains. I'm asking $700 a piece for the DCP-150's and $400 for the DCP -100. And if they don't sell..that's fine with me- they are fantastic units and sound much better than many full sized modern CD players.

Why engineers abandonded those great 80's DAC's baffles me, nothing sounds as good as these do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back