Denon DCP-100
Sep 1, 2004 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kfh227

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, seems to be getting good comments as I search the forums. Can onyone comment on this? I figure for $100 it can't be beat. Does it have a DC input jack so I don't kill the battery?

I'm primarily interested in knowing if it's sound quality is good for hte price.

Thanks,
karl

Sep 1, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 14
It has a DC input jack unless it's a really rare major factory defect unit. However, unless you're really lucky, the battery is probably already dead since they're pretty old. The PCDP is worth what you're willing to pay and no more. I'm a Denon PCDP fan and am obviously biased. It's good SQ, but it's also a pretty big player...and even if you do find batteries (or get a RatShack power bank) the battery life is around 3 hours. And there's no anti-skip. But you probably already know all this...

Sep 1, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 14
IMO I think the DCP-100 is a great PCDP on par with the Sony D-311. $100 is probably the max I'd pay for a DCP-100 that is in excellent condition and works flawlessly, any more than that it had better come with complete acessories such as ac adapter, carrying pouch, rechargeable battery and if possible the original box. As mentioned by oddball despite the DCP-100 being an excellent PCDP it is bulky and built like a tank.

Sep 2, 2004 at 12:19 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for hte comments. What does a new Sony D-311 go for?

What is the best $100 player brand new out of the box right now?

If the Denon DCP-100 is mint, is that the way to go?

Sep 2, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 14
The denon dcp-100 doesn't get the respect it deserve seing how all those sony sell for. The d-311 used to go for +$200 when there were the "vintage" pcdp hype was at it's highest now it's down quite a bit I guess. I bought my dcp-100 $112 a couple of years ago and it was worth every penny. Ok it was in the box with all the accesoiry. It has an 9V DC in

Sep 2, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT
The denon dcp-100 doesn't get the respect it deserve seing how all those sony sell for. The d-311 used to go for +$200 when there were the "vintage" pcdp hype was at it's highest now it's down quite a bit I guess. I bought my dcp-100 $112 a couple of years ago and it was worth every penny. Ok it was in the box with all the accesoiry. It has an 9V DC in

How much do used DCP-150s go for (on average)? And how are those better?

newbie,
Karl

Sep 2, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 14
Now because the dcp-150 is reputed to by the best of all time and appear only once in the blue moon, people are still pretty crasy about it. Around $300 on Ebay. That what I paid for mine Ok a lie I paid mine somewhat higher Because it was from europe but it got the box and all the accessoiry. that a bit insane for an 14 year old pdcp, I believe Oddball got her's for $50 in a local pawn shop where nobody knew about pcdp

Sep 2, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 14
On the average on Ebay I've seen DCP-150's that are in excellent condition and functions flawlessly but not complete w/ all acessories sell for about $250+/- . DCP-150 complete w/ all acessories (battery, remote control, carrying pouch, manuals, and original box) in excellent condition and functions flawlessly will go for about $300+ on Ebay. Head-fi member spwal sold his DCP-150 that was in excellent condition and fully functioning complete w/ all acessories including owner's manual and original box for $429 on Ebay a while back. I have also seen DCP-150's that were broken w/o it's acessories go for $150 on Ebay. The DCP-150 IMO is the best sounding vintage PCDP and is certainly considerably rarer than the DCP-100 and the Sony D-311 (in fact rarer than most vintage PCDP's that's currently available on Ebay). To me it is the only vintage PCDP that comes closest to sounding like a fullsize CDP. It does not however surpass the sonic qualities of a fullsize CDP. The DCP-150 also has a digital line out that the DCP-100 doesn't have.
The DCP-150 offers a very accurate and detailed sound with a wide soundstage. More detailed and with a wider soundstage than any other PCDP's that I had the opportunity to listen to and own. You won't often see a DCP-150 appear on Ebay, but when it does there will always be a bidding war for it and the price will climb skywards. If you're lucky sometimes you may be able to find a DCP-150 for a price that is a steal, you just have to have the patience and know where to look.

Sep 4, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 14
You guys paid that much money for a DCP-100, I only paid $3.00 for mine at a Flee market
600smile.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
A quick question: Would you say the DCP-100 or 150 has a better headphone out than a Sony D-211?

IMO in terms of detail and accuracy against the D-211 I would say the D-150 has a better headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back