Denon D5000 sibilance issues?
Jan 5, 2018 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

chimney189

Headphoneus Supremus
Good day,
I'm hoping to get a response from someone who owns or has auditioned Denon D5000 headphones.
I would specifically like to know if there are any issues of sibilance with these headphones (I'm a bit treble sensitive preferring headphones such as LCD and HD 650).

I'm looking for a good headphone that is closed to use for gaming, movies, and music such as hip-hop and complex musical passages.

Thanks!

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 3
I don’t know your budget but the Denon D5000 is discontinued and so can only be had *used*. Today, a D5000 is listed at $400 on Amazon and there are 2 on eBay just under $500. One is offered at over $4k on eBay!!!!

If you can spend around $500, then consider getting a *new* E-MU Teak. It has great bass (quality & quantity), good vocals and tamed highs. It’s great for hip hop and any bass-heavy music and for movies, too. I’m not a gamer, so I won’t advise on their suitability for games.

However, getting an E-MU isn’t easy! A close alternative, according to trusted reviewers, is the Fostex X00 ($450) from Massdrop. They get very close to the E-MU sound because one is a clone of the other. Note that the Foster family (the Denons, E-MU & Fostex) all share design, drivers, structures, etc.) Basically, all are variations of the Foster 443742 driver. See the review by Tyll of InnerFidelity here (https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...ening-tests-denon-ah-d5000-massdrop-fostex-th).

Be aware that some reviewers complained about sibilane from the Fostex 910 and one reviewer even from the Fostex 620.

Now, if your budget can be doubled to $1,000, then try the Atticus from ZMF. It has a similar signature to the Foster family but more refined and musical. But if you’re busting your budget and want to stick with Denon, then get a new Denon D7200 ($900) or a used D7000 ($700). Whatever you do, avoid the 7100.

For complex music passages, I’d stick with the 650. But if you’re not satisfied with the 650 or want an upgrade, then audition the Focal Elear (street price $680). Personally, for complex music, I’d get the Sennheiser 660S ($500), B&W P9 ($900) or the Focal Clear ($1,500). These 3 handle complex passages with professionalism, but all 3 get shouty at times.

BTW, if money’s tight, consider tweaking the EQ on your device or software (eg Foobar2000) to reduce sibilance. You’ll lose details, but what use is details if it’s fatiguing, let alone painful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back