Denon D2000's with Beyer velour pads - Yuk!
Dec 20, 2007 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shadesbass

100+ Head-Fier
Not sure if anyone else has done this, but I just tried my DT990 (2005) velour pads on my Denon 2k's and I was thoroughly disappointed with the result! The bass almost completely disappears, which is bad news for a basshead like me.

The Beyer pads are ever so slightly smaller than the Denons, but they fitted OK. I wonder if the Beyer leather (or even gel) pads would be better...

I'm also keen to try fitting the Denon cups to a Beyer headband as I find the Denon headband slightly too loose for my liking (for all that air-drumming I do
wink.gif
). The Beyer clamp could be too much for the soft pads though. I might give it a go after I've recabled them...

Dec 20, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 10
I had the same experience when I experimented with the RP-21s. Totally killed the bass and SQ overall. It is an interesting phenomena to me. I recently bought the M-Audio Q40 which comes stock with pleather pads. I tried a set of Beyer velour pads and it left the terrific SQ alone and upped the comfy quotient factor. I don't understand what factors are at play when changing to velour pads drastically alters the sound sig and quality.

Dec 20, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 10
i even tried the 990 pads on the 770 and the results are similar to yours. maybe you could try the 770 pads on the denons since theyre both closed cans

Dec 21, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe you could try the 770 pads on the denons since theyre both closed cans

Yeahh. That would be informative for Denons users!
biggrin.gif

I remember reading on various threads that changing the Velour pads to Leather pads on Beyers ups the bass, more bass.

Dec 21, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 10
i have 3 different pads for my beyer dt770 600ohm and also darths.
The leather, velour and gel pads. imo the velour provides the less bass and more details, the leather eats up the details and provide more bass and the gel is in the middle. If anyone have the pads, they should try and roll them on the d2k to see the results.

Dec 31, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have 3 different pads for my beyer dt770 600ohm and also darths.
The leather, velour and gel pads. imo the velour provides the less bass and more details, the leather eats up the details and provide more bass and the gel is in the middle. If anyone have the pads, they should try and roll them on the d2k to see the results.

Do you have any idea why this would be? It seems like since the gel pads have no vents they would let out the least amount of air, providing the most bass, whereas since the leather have holes on the underside, they would release more pressure, in addition to them being less maluable which I would predict would result in small gaps potentially forming around the edge of the pad behind the ear where the pressure is weakest.

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 10
Has anyone tried DT770 or AKG K271S velour pads with Denon?
How do you actually change the pads, Denon's pads come off with the whole plastic assembly thing?

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 10
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too. How to put Beyer pads on D2K?
I have both leather and velour Darth pads. They normaly fold over the Beyer cup rim, I just can't see how that can be done with Denons - pads are attached via three plastic locks.
confused.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #10 of 10
Just tried K271S pleather pads with them. Well, they become thin and competly gutless. Bass totally disappeared.
It's actually quite easy to replace pads, you take the whole pad assembly off and then separate the leather portion that is sewn to one plastic ring from the ring that has plastic locks. Then just stretch a replacement pad over that locking ring. But the results are awful.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back