Denon D2000's slight hiss in background
Apr 26, 2010 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Malevolint

500+ Head-Fier
I'm still a beginner at the whole audiophile scene, so please forgive my ignorance.

I just received my pair of D2000's (which are my first pair of headphones), and before anything else, even before being burned in (and I'm running them unamped), these headphones are amazing!! They rock out with amazing bass and clarity, and I love trance music even more on them. I can't imagine them being better, so the day I can afford an amp will be a great day!!

That being said... I use my iPhone 3g as my source. I'm afraid I might have done something wrong. It might just be the burning in process, but I'm really paranoid. The headphones have been (Got em friday), but tonight I was listening to Three Days Grace on them (depressing I know) and I started to hear a slight hissing wiry noise when the music would cease for a second or so. When the music plays its overpowered and you can't hear it.

Then when I opened the Pandora app, I was listening to a track with a piano playing and it seemed like the hiss amplified, and it turned wavy. Also, it seemed like some mid-range parts (especially with a guitar) had the very slightest crackle

Could this be due to bad source quality or perhaps I may have turned the volume too high while the headphones are still burning in??

Should I wait out the burn-in or get them replaced?

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm sure it's the hiss from the recording itself (be it mp3 or lossless) or from your ipod, which is far from a good source for them. I listen to a lot of rock and metal too, and sadly rock music is very poorly recorded, except very few bands.
It could also be because of poor amping, and the ipod just starts to distort due to low power at high volumes.
It's not your phones for sure IMO ...

PS: Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry aboout your wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrcojocaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, I just noticed that you're located in Romania, I'm from there too
smily_headphones1.gif

I got that from the start
wink.gif

Well, there are a LOT of sources to choose from, all depens on the thikness of your wallet
wink.gif

A dedicated DAC/Amp should do wonders i'm sure and lossless material (Flac, wav, alac, ape). You could start from entry level ones, like Audinst HUD-mx1, maybe an iBasso D4, a StyleAudio Carat, an Audio-GD Sparrow, and many others.
Pick your poison depending on your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back