Denon D2000 vs. Proline 750/2500? Anyone tried both?
Jul 21, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've heard both side by side. do you have any specific questions?

What Proline 750 do better then Denon? I know for sure that Pro 750 can't beat D2000 in comfort! What about bass, detals and vocals?

Jul 21, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What Proline 750 do better then Denon? I know for sure that Pro 750 can't beat D2000 in comfort! What about bass, detals and vocals?

I have had both I honestly cannot think of anything. IMO D2000 just plain outclasses PL750, they just don't sound or look like the same tier.

Jul 21, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I heard the 2500 not the 750. the Ultrasone have the perception of more detail since there is more treble energy, but Denons do almost everything else better to my ears and are much more musical. So I much prefer the Denons. Bass is good on both headphones, strong and tight, but the Denons go deeper. Vocals are more prominent on the Denons, and weightier. The Ultrasones have more upper midrange so female vocals sound more female and high-pitched. The 2500 has a metallic treble that was almost sibilant. The soundstage on the 2500 was also very recessed, while the Denons have a forward, less wide soundstage.

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 25
Thank you guys!

I briefly heard the Edition 9 and like it. I understand that Proline 750 and Edit. 9 different headphones but I was curious if Proline 750 can do 90% what Edit. 9 can, since they share drivers, then I would like to try them.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 25
I must be deaf because I find that my PROlines 2500 sound fantastic. Very open, dynamic, detailed, clear, with great extension, a lush/warm bass.

I have compared them to Beyer DT990 (post 2005 in 250 ohm), K701, K501, RP21, and RS-1. They are my 2nd favorite can after the RS-1 and they are my wife's 2nd favorite can after the K701.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must be deaf because I find that my PROlines 2500 sound fantastic. Very open, dynamic, detailed, clear, with great extension, a lush/warm bass.

I have compared them to Beyer DT990 (post 2005 in 250 ohm), K701, K501, RP21, and RS-1. They are my 2nd favorite can after the RS-1 and they are my wife's 2nd favorite can after the K701.

You just must hear the D2000! But I guess I have to hear PROlines 2500also
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 25
I've owned both at the same time. I don't want to really say anything based on memory, though. My bottom line is I kept the D2000 and sold the 2500, though I'm one of the seemingly few that really enjoyed the 2500.

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #13 of 25
I've owned both.

Frankly, the answer is that it depends. It depends on your system and your preferences.

COTDT pretty much describes them accurately as far as sound, but the 750/2500's had a certain richness with tubes that's hard to describe. That effect, IMO, made the Ultrasones much more exciting/satisfying on many rock recordings compared to most headphones. They have a certain strong personality, if you will, that you either love or hate. No middle ground for these.

On the other hand the D2000's are much more balanced and better with more recordings and types of music. But I find them a bit lacking in personality. Yet I feel there's more potential there if I could figure out how to unleash it.

I wouldn't get the 750's in the hopes of having a poor man's Edition 9's though. I definitely felt the 750/2500's were unrefined in comparison to the Senn 650's or even K701's, for example. And by all reports the E9 is a step up from them.

Let me use a metaphor. The Ultrasones are like the crazy girl you knew who was a lot of fun, but a little out of control, and would occasionally unexpectedly embarass the h*ll out of you. The D2000 are like the girl you could always count on to go out when you had nothing else to do, but occassionally would do the unexpected in such a way that made you think she had a secret, interesting side that you wished you knew how to set free, but never could.

I still miss my Ultrasones (sold them to help pay for a major amp and source upgrade) and will probably eventually spring for the E9's. (sound of wallet screaming and fading into the distance)...

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by almach1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the consensus is : buy the d200. i don't think anybody is selling theirs anytime soon

Don't know about that. I bought mine used here.

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by almach1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the consensus is : buy the d200. i don't think anybody is selling theirs anytime soon

that's definitely not the head-fi way.
the can attained it's fotm status. gradually you are starting to hear it's detractors voice their views. once there are sufficient #s of them out there some folks will find it ain't there cuppa tea and the sell offs will show (and the prices will drop). that's the head-fi way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back