Denon D2000 Problems!
Jul 24, 2009 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

ezzieyguywuf

100+ Head-Fier
xI'm freaking out guys. I noticed today that one of the cups on my Denon D2000s seemed to be coming off so I took the ear pad off to get a closer look. Turns out theres 4 screws that hold the whole driver-cup assembly to the swivel. Only two of these screws were present and of those two only one was snug. The other three had stripped threads. I pulled off the other ear cup to check if maybe it was standard to have only two screws. Not the case. It had four screws and they were all snug.

These cans are not stock. They have wooden cups and an aftermarket cable. I did not perform these mods. I bought these cans from a forum member (just contacted him to see if maybe he didn't have the same problems) who I'm pretty sure had the mods performed by someone else.

I am very very sad right now. I have not been at all agressive with these cans, and all I want is to use them again. There is nothing wrong with the drivers (as far as my ears can tell) but I'm hesitant to continue listening to them with essentially one screw holding on the whole left cup-driver assembly. I could really use some help here. Is this a common problem? Is it easy to fix?

:frowning2:

Update: Pictures!

20090729203401.jpg

Heres where my freak-out started

20090729203515.jpg

A closer look didn't help. Decided to pull it apart to further investigate

20090729203611.jpg

20090729203646.jpg

You can imagine my surprise when I saw that there were only two screws holding this sucker in place. When I went to strategically move one of those two screws so that they would be diagonal from each other, I was dissapointed to find that the threads were stripped out!

20090729203921.jpg

This is where the screws go into. As you can see, this is a plastic fixture. The threads in three out of four of these was bad. When I screw the screws in with the driver out like this, they go in fine, which leads me to believe that there are threads further down in the bore, but that they are stripped out closer to the top. This led to my theory...

20090729204009.jpg

As you can see, I had to pull the cable out some in order to get this thing in a position to work with, i.e. if I wanted to put new cups in, then I would have to pull the cable out some to get to it. This last image also shows the protrusions that go into the bosses on the driver-cup assembly. My theory is that when the last modification was made, maybe the cable got in the way of the protrusions sitting in the bosses flushly. This would mean that even though the screws might snug up, they would only have a few threads engaged. Since the whol assembly, according to my theory, is only being held in by a few threads, this means that it was only a matter of time before some minor bump yanked these threads out.

Let me know what you guys think of my theory!!!

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 35
I don't think it was his fault so no. I've just heard from him and he tells me that he did the mods himself and is certain that they got to me with all screws present and snug. I'm pretty sure that he's a well respected forum member, and I'd hate to make any false accusations.

I should add that I've had these cans for a few months. I've handled them very carefully but haven't babied them. They've been trecking back and forth from work with me, but they've always been transported in their own bag and have never been dropped or just thrown around.

HELP.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 35
These are not common problems as far as I've heard, my cans were fine. I recently opened them up to recable them and all the screws were snug and secure. The only problem that the D2000's have is a loose pivot screw problem. I dont know the measurements of the screws but if you could find out you could probably buy some replacements.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galesden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are not common problems as far as I've heard, my cans were fine. I recently opened them up to recable them and all the screws were snug and secure. The only problem that the D2000's have is a loose pivot screw problem. I dont know the measurements of the screws but if you could find out you could probably buy some replacements.

I considered that, and being a mechy sort of guy its usually the sort of thing I'd do. I don't want to though, not on this piece of high-end equipment. I'd rather figure out if its my fault first or not. I don't think it is. The seller doesn't think its his fault. But who's fault is it then?

There is nothing wrong with the screws other than the fact that two are missing. They are missing because they fell out. They fell out because the threads they were supposed to screw into were stripped out. I didn't do this! I never touched these screws with a screwdriver. I figured if I posted in here and found out that it is a common problem if, say, they are grossly mishandled (which I haven't done) or dropped (which they haven't been) or have Eminem played through them (guilty) then I could maybe be my fault. But if this isn't a common problem then I'm led to believe that somewhere between stock and modded something went wrong :frowning2:

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 35
When i was reading through the some threads about re-cabling my d2000s a few people mentioned that the threads of the screw hole wear done with repeated screwing and unscrewing of the of the cups. So for yours to be worn down like that the previous owners must have opened up those cans alot. I'm sorry that i dont have any advice but at least i can tell you that this kind of wear doesnt happen after being unscrewed and screwed back in after 1 or 2 times.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 35
Well, the threads on the cups themselves are fine. The way it works is as follows: you have four screws that hold the cup and driver together (cup-driver assembly is what I'm calling it) and then four more that attach this assembly to your swivel. Thank you for you comment though and I appreciate you searching through the forums right now. I'm too distraught right now to do any research, not to mention I'm busy preparing a presentation for tomorrow.

Head-fi! TO ME!!!!!!! (Think medieval times, a knight summoning his troops to his aid, thrusting his broadsword into the air one-handedly for emphasis)

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 35
Can you maybe post pictures of what it is? Chances are, the only solution is to find some screws that fit snug, and maybe get some tak or a hot glue gun and put it around them for some extra support. It shouldn't cost much.

And really, why does it have to be anyone's fault?

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 35
It doesn't necessarily have to be someone's fault. I think I mispoke there (mis-typed?). Rather, what I meant is that I'd like to track down the source of this failure so that I can make a more informed decision on what to do next. If I determine that the source of the failure is something that I did, then I would probably go the by-a-bigger-screw-and-put-some-hot-glue-on-it route, though I really really don't want to do that. I paid good bucks for these and would rather have them exactly as they were meant to be had (barring the mods of course. Is that too much of a contradiction?)

I will post some pictures on Sunday. Unfortunately I can't get to it till then.

I think I'd rather try to sell them to someone who wouldn't mind the hot glue etcetera solution, and use those funds to by a new, non-modded pair. That way, I'd know that any problems are my or the manufacturer's fault.

Man, I wasn't hesitant at all about buying used. My fiancee was but not me. I know that headphones are bought and sold on here all the times without problems, but this might just leave a bad enough taste in my mouth to where I'll only by 'phones new in the future. *sigh*

Thanks for all you help so far, btw, guys (and possibly gals)

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #11 of 35
I think you need to take an "it is what it is" approach and try and fix the problem. I'm not trying to belittle the problem but you said you tend to be handy ("mechy" was your term) so step through it logically. Take out one of the remaining screws so you know what size to get. A hobby shop is a good source for small screws that are typically used on headphones. For the stripped out holes use wood glue and toothpicks.

I work on headphones all the time from mid-fi to high-end kit. You just need to take your time - be patient. No need to freak out. Be thankful it isn't a driver problem.

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #12 of 35
*sigh* yes I agree with your comments warrior05 but I'm loathe to do that type of tweaking on something I paid $400+ for. I'd have no problem doing it if it was blatantly a result of something I did, but it's looking like that wasn't the case. Call me crazy...

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #13 of 35
but for you to wash your hands of it and lose money because of ...what exactly?? because it wasnt your fault, you do seem fixated on that?? seems odd. the reality is its real and they are great headphones. it is possible that something happened that you are not aware of as well (although that is probably unlikely) for the stripped holes in the metal frame (not the wood cups) which is the picture I have in my head (I mod these headphones regularly too and own a blackwood pair like yours, but with a cable upgrade) you will need to get a slightly larger couple screws and a tapping tool to ad thread albeit at a larger size. or you could indeed find something to fill the hole with and screw into that. there are many ways to fix this problem. I understand the feeling of wanting to throw up your arms and have a little mope about it, but that will not get you anywhere that has any headphones in sight; just a hole in the wallet and a pair of stock D2000 which IMO are not in the same league as a modded pair (although I do still enjoy them)

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is weak. Mind outing the person who worked on this?

That would be me. Believe me I never went in trying to screw ezzie over.

Although I'd really like to not have to refund for something that was sold several weeks back, I'm willing to help out in capacities of my best ability.

At the moment, I've asked for Ezzie to contact markl for now to see if he has had any exp. with this and possible recommendations.

My initial throught was, probably longer/slightly larger screws.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galesden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When i was reading through the some threads about re-cabling my d2000s a few people mentioned that the threads of the screw hole wear done with repeated screwing and unscrewing of the of the cups. So for yours to be worn down like that the previous owners must have opened up those cans alot. I'm sorry that i dont have any advice but at least i can tell you that this kind of wear doesnt happen after being unscrewed and screwed back in after 1 or 2 times.

To answer this ... I opened them up in order to re-cable and add woodies (first time), once more to remove dampening material from between driver and cups as I didn't like the change (second time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back