Denon D2000, or something else? (complete n00b)
Nov 12, 2011 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

djglenn

New Head-Fier
I am a complete n00b when it comes to headphones, but have some cash that I would like to but a decent pair of cans.

The D2000's look nice to me, however I have read some reviews of the pins holding the ear pieces breaking. Have any if you guys heard about this issue?

I require new headphones for Music (Rock mostly) and FPS games (PC).

I am open to any other suggestions if the Denon's are not ideal to my needs.

Nov 12, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 16
The nature of internet forums is that every issue with a product will get magnified tenfold.  Yes, it's a problem out there, but chances are you're less likely to get it than impressions from a forum would have you believe.

What kind of sound are you after?

Nov 12, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 16
Yes, I guess you have a point! Though it sounds like a bad defect for the amount of money these headphones cost.

I maybe shouldn't admit this but I don't know what type of sound I am after....

I have a set of Sennheiser CX300ii in ears which are sweet.

I however am looking for a good over ear / closed back set

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
Yes, I guess you have a point! Though it sounds like a bad defect for the amount of money these headphones cost.
I maybe shouldn't admit this but I don't know what type of sound I am after....
I have a set of Sennheiser CX300ii in ears which are sweet.
I however am looking for a good over ear / closed back set
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

What kind of sound will you want? Neutral (ie, everything is roughly the same from top to bottom). Bassy? Bass lite with lots of hot treble? Forward mids?
What music do you primarily listen to a lot? And make a point if you're wanting gobs of bass, or if you just want neutral bass, or if you abhor bass in general.

The pin thing with the Denons is an internet thing. Ask all these people with Denons here if theirs fell apart on their head.

Very best,

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 16
Mm if you think how many people actually own Denons compared to how many people have complained about the pin thing.... And how many people use the internet.... I think it is massively overstated by a minority of people..... Out of 100 reviews on amazon only 2 people said they had this problem.... I own the Denons and was thinking the same but I havent had any problems and I think it is unlikely you will either.... there are about 20 people which have mentioned having the problem whereas there are probably thousands of people who have not had the problem... I think it has been fixed in more recent batches anyway...

Don't make your decision based on the pin thing I doubt you will have any problems.... Anyway even if you did (unlikely) all you need to do is screw it back in....

Nov 12, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 16
You can't go wrong with the Denons, definitely a excellent headphone.

Nov 13, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #8 of 16
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What kind of sound will you want? Neutral (ie, everything is roughly the same from top to bottom). Bassy? Bass lite with lots of hot treble? Forward mids?
What music do you primarily listen to a lot? And make a point if you're wanting gobs of bass, or if you just want neutral bass, or if you abhor bass in general.

The pin thing with the Denons is an internet thing. Ask all these people with Denons here if theirs fell apart on their head.

Very best,

I guess Neutral, with Bass that can kick in when needed. The phones will be for FPS Gaming, Rock / Metal / Punk type music (and Pop when ever my wife is using them)

I am not an audiophile, but just want to get good phones instead of buying another cheap set that dissapoint's me.

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!

I guess Neutral, with Bass that can kick in when needed. The phones will be for FPS Gaming, Rock / Metal / Punk type music (and Pop when ever my wife is using them)

I am not an audiophile, but just want to get good phones instead of buying another cheap set that dissapoint's me.

I would probably go Grado for your needs. Perhaps a 325i.

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:

I would probably go Grado for your needs. Perhaps a 325i.

Thanks for the relpy!

I havent considered the Grado's much tbh, but perhaps I should revisit why I excluded them. I think it was to do with the styling, and that they are generally open backed (I need some isolation if I want to stay married).

Will read up some on the 325i's though.

I have read some positive opinions on the ATH-A900's as well, are they any better than the Denon's?

So current options:

Denon AHD2000
Shure SRH940
Audio Technica ATH-A900
Grado SR325i

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 16
The denons i have don't seem to have the screw problem yet and doesn't look like it will hopefully.
Maybe a bad batch. Its very bassy and boomy. Perhaps with the bass even bleeding into the rest
of the spectrum. U'll love it for gaming. But it seems u don't want enhanced bass. Just neutral.
i would go for one of the sennheisers maybe a 595. Grado is just the complete opposite of the
denons. Very 'thin' sounding. More emphasis on treble and clarity. Compared to denons, a lot less
although tight and controlled bass. I can't speak for the sr325i's. I have the sr80's but it seems
grado's have a similar sound signature

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
I have read some positive opinions on the ATH-A900's as well, are they any better than the Denon's?
So current options:
Denon AHD2000
Shure SRH940
Audio Technica ATH-A900
Grado SR325i

By reputation, the ATH-A900s would have less bass then the AH-D2000.

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #13 of 16
I'm very pleased with my D2000 for both music and gaming.  I came from a set of HD555 and was worried that going closed may shrink the soundstage and make gaming seem less immersive.  I could not have been any more wrong, using CMSS-3D game worlds sound even more open and positional queues are actually more noticeable. 
Overall, I'm very pleased with my choice, I am considering getting a set of HD650s as well, I think I've caught the upgraditis.

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 16
Tbh i would highyl reccomend NOT getting the Grados for gaming.... They are completely unsuitable for gaming IMO and are also very uncomfortable for long periods ( they are ON ear not OVER ear )....

I am not saying the grados dont have an appeal and they have a nice lively sound but tbh they are lacking in bass and also they are very fatiguing in a very short amount of time.... For short bursts of classical or rock type music they are good but for gaming and long term use they are a bad choice IMO.... The Denons are awesome all round headphones IMO great for gaming and great for all music types... The bass is not overwhelming it is just nice and full sounding and the opposite to thin sounding which IMo is a very good thing because I hate thin tinny sounding hadphones

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #15 of 16
I suggest you look some of the German Maestro/GMP headphones up. According to reviews, they're fairly neutral and very well built. You might want to look into getting Beyer DT 880/ DT 990 Pro (the cheaper ones).

Grado's are really bad for gaming as they have a very small soundstage. You can tell footsteps coming from left/right but that's about it. They're not very comfortable either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back