Denon d2000 or Audio Technica ad1000//which one to get?
Apr 28, 2008 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

monoxyde1234

Head-Fier
which one should i get? ad1000 or d2000? or do you have any other suggestions? they cost about 300$ in PriceJapan. budget is at 320$ at max.

i'm gonna jack them up straight my ipods, have no plans on amping whatsoever. i listen to almost all kinds of music, rock pop trance punk jazz acoutics. will use them mostly on musics but must also be good on movies and games. gonna wear them on public though i wont care much on looks, just a little i guess.

it would be nice if someone could compare these two.

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 25
I've seen them compared in several threads. Search for "d2000 ad1000" and check through the posts you find.

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 25
Cannot compare the two, but one above in each range I have compared the D5000 and AD2000. IMO, for music I would take the AD2000 in a heartbeat. However, if you plan on gaming and watching movies, the D5000's bass emphasis may be what you are after.

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen them compared in several threads. Search for "d2000 ad1000" and check through the posts you find.

it would be nice if you could post the link where these cans were compared
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 25
I have the bigger brothers of the two headphones you are considering, you might find the review in my sig useful to see how the two fare without dedicated amplification.
For the kind of music you like, I would recommend the Audio Technica a little more than the Denon, but its a matter of personal preference in the end, both a quite capable headphones.

Apr 28, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 25
It all depends on what kind of sound you like.

As some of the others, I've got the "bigger brothers" of both these phones, and I think I prefer the AD2000s.

The ATHs will sound much more fast, crisp and clear with a tight bass - more like Grados. If you're a basshead and treble sensitive you might not like them as well as the Denons. They're also much easier to drive than Denons.

The Denons will sound much slower, darker, and not as clear and crisp as the ATHs - and their bass... "is out uh control." A basshead would love them... unless... he prefers really tight, clear, defined bass. They will sound more like the "old" version of the HD650s, than Grados, or even the HD580/600s. The Denons require an amp with lots of current to avoid clipping (break up of the mids, etc), and are much harder to drive - at least 15% less efficient than the ATHs.

To me... there is "no contest," unless you intend to mod the Denons and get the right amp to drive them.

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 25
thanks for the response people, most of you got the big brothers of these, and prefer the audio-technicas more than the denons. i do like some bass, but not too much. would likely want to hear the music as a whole you know. SQ>bass by a third i guess XD.

now if someone really has first hand experiences with the two cans, that would be great, and if someone can suggest other cans, that would be good too, adding to the confusion hehe.

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 25
Ive heard the ad1000 misses whats special about the ad2000 and is more clinical than the ad900. Havent heard them myself but from the usual research here, I would either get the ad900 or directly go to the ad2000. You probably can't really go wrong with the denon either unless you are looking for a very specific sound

Apr 29, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 25
wow donunus, im from the philippines too XD

well about what you said, ad2000 is way out of my budget right now and considering the ad900, ive read a thread "Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 vs. Denon AH-D2000" and gil schwartzman compared the two cans, saying he'd get the denon d2000 before the ad900

so should i go for the denons instead? as you said, i cant go wrong with either but as much i want to get the most out of my money. not looking for a very specific sound, more likely all kinds of sound hehe

Apr 29, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 25
where are you in the Philippines? You can come over if you want to listen to the ad2000 to get a feel for the AT sound. They are actually a great value if you consider the fact that they are even more musical sounding out of the ipod than a meier headfive amp. The headfive adds weight and the crossfeed is good but things just seem to dry up. The ipod HP Jack sounds more liquid with them. Very good value considering only an expensive amp will really improve them

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 25
to donunus,
well im from Q.C. manila, and i think i would save up for the at ad2000, and buy that instead, if my itching ears could wait hehe.

and does the ad2000 look portable enough to wear on public? XD

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 25
They are big headphones. bigger than sennheisers. And they have zero isolation. I don't think youd want to risk dropping them. They are for a transportable system not a portable one. the biggest cans i would use portably are grados.

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #15 of 25
x2 hehehe
Besides that, the ad2000 don't sound as good in a noisy environment. get something like the current FOTM ultrasone hf1780s for outside use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back