Denon `D2000 for punk/metal?
Feb 2, 2010 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Sabrage

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using Alessandro MS-1s for about a year now, and while I like them quite a bit I'm looking for a decent closed step up. I've found that my taste in music has changed some in the last year, and I think it's safe to say that I'm a certified basshead, which is why I'm attracted to the D2000 in the first place.

I've read a couple of review recommending the Shure SRH840 over the D2000, but I've also read that they're pretty "laid-back" and I feel that they would not be suited for a mix of hip-hop, shoegaze, hardcore, metal and some of that indie-hipster nonsense.

In short, I'm looking for a closed headphone that's well suited for a broad variety of genres, but with a special emphasis on the low-end. These would be both for home and semi-portable listening. Would the D2000s be suitable for my tastes? My budget is around $200 for the headphones, and I'm willing to budget around $100 for a well-paired portable amp.

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 25
bump. Forgot to mention in my first post, in addition to music I would hopefully like to use these for gaming and movies too, so soundstage is pretty important (and my Alessandros are definitely lacking here.)

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 25
I've found ATH-M50 pretty good for rock/metal, and you can save on amp with them
smile_phones.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 25
The D2000's are very good for movies and most of the tunes specified. I wouldn't call them the (very) best cans for punk and metal, however. They perform best with music that has a strong bottom end (e.g. hip-hop, trance, dance pop), but rock with likely remain your MS-1's domain.

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2000's are very good for movies and most of the tunes specified. I wouldn't call them the (very) best cans for punk and metal, however. They perform best with music that has a strong bottom end (e.g. hip-hop, trance, dance pop), but rock with likely remain your MS-1's domain.

Even though I am fairly new D5000 user I agree with this, any type of electronic music sounds delicious, right now I am listening to deerhunter and it is good, but for any type of rock or live recordings I would choose my HD650...

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 25
Deerhunter?! Good man. I love, love, love both Cryptograms and Microcastle. The Fluorescent Grey EP is also stellar. Bradford Cox's Atlas Sound project is pretty good too. Keeping with the thread, I have more luck with the DH stuff with Grados, although a lot of the electronic/ambient wash/shoegaze stuff sounds rather tasty and full on the Denons.

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Deerhunter?! Good man. I love, love, love both Cryptograms and Microcastle. The Fluorescent Grey EP is also stellar. Bradford Cox's Atlas Sound project is pretty good too. Keeping with the thread, I have more luck with the DH stuff with Grados, although a lot of the electronic/ambient wash/shoegaze stuff sounds rather tasty and full on the Denons.

Yeah Bradford is awesome and yes one day I will add any of Grados into my arsenal, funny part is I really like highs more than base and I am wondering why did I buy Denon. just kidding, loving every second of this baby
L3000.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 25
By all means grab a pair of MS-1(i)'s for <$100 on the FS/FT forums. Very good Grado sound for very little funds, relatively speaking. Bradford implores you!

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

By all means grab a pair of MS-1(i)'s for <$100 on the FS/FT forums. Very good Grado sound for very little funds, relatively speaking. Bradford implores you!

ph34r.gif
Whats MS-1(i)?

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp_zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Canadian for Alessandro MS1. (Possibly the "i" version)

Whats Alessandro MS1?
ph34r.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats Alessandro MS1?
ph34r.gif

A Headphone?
ph34r.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Headphone?
ph34r.gif

deadhorse.gif
Why does it look like Grado or why does it have different name? or what is the difference? why should I go for alexander over grado? and so on....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back