Denon D2000 for audio reference classes......? Good or bad? (with poll)
May 16, 2010 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Anti-Hero

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all. been a while since I've been on the forum, and I have a quick question. Here's a short background...

I'm starting college classes involving audio post production and music mixing. Normally, the school hands out a pair of Senn HD280 pros, but unfortunately I missed the boat on the free cans. Good news is, I now get to choose what I wear to class.

I was looking at the Denon AH-D2000's, seeing that some people have said that they are very good for reference, but having a higher price tag, I want to be sure.

Now, the question.... Would the Denons be as good for pure sound reference as the HD280s? Or are there any other really good reference cans that I've missed? Opinions people! I need em!

If you want more info on the classes or anything, just ask. Didn't want to clutter the post up too much :)

May 16, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 14
To me, the D2000 is more a fun than a reference class headphone. Besides, they might be annoying in class as they don't isolate much (and some claim them to leak sound as well).

And I definitely would not want to drag them to class as large as they are.

May 16, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 14
I'm considering denons as a modding platform, and from everything I've read they have pretty boomy bass in stock form. I have the HD280s and I'd say they are bass light. From my hour with my friends M50s those had pretty nice bass, but then again I was just listening to the electronica mixes he made.

May 16, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 14
The only way a D2000 could be used for mixing or studio reference is if you EQ them to get rid of the recessed midrange.  Otherwise mixes or any kind of mastering decisions will be a disaster waiting to happen.

Look at the frequency response graph for the D2000 over at HeadRoom.  Look at what it does between 1K and 3K.  Take a good monitor speaker and EQ them down similarly between 1k and about 3K and see what happens.  Try to mix an electric guitar with distortion effects on the D2000 and you'll get it wrong every time.

I love my D2000, but I EQ them.

May 16, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for the quick responses guys. So it's looking like the Denons might not be the way to go. Any opinions as to what my best choice could be?

May 16, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 14
I voted other. You can try AKG K701/702.  They are about the same price as the Denon's plus the AKGs are a true reference phones from what I've heard and read here. I own the D2000 and love it but from what you need, it is not ideal for what you are going to use it for.

May 16, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 14
Yea, I heard that too. But unfortunately, as I'm going to be in a classroom setting, the open back will not do.

May 16, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 14
I haven't heard SRH840 but AFAIR and AFAIL (L = Listen) to SRH440, D5000, D7000 I believe SRH840 is a better choice for reference. Denon have more than enough bass to be called reference headphones.

May 16, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 14
Also, the closed German Maestro ones got very good reviews a while back and they look like they could take repeat dragging class gracefully...

May 16, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 14
The Sennheiser HD25 I-IIs might be worthwhile looking at as well. A lot of DJs use them for monitoring and I personally use them to A/B mixes sometimes when producing. Obviously the HD25s aren't flat, but they're good at isolating sound and you can twist one side up to rest on your head if you need to hear in class.

May 19, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for all the responses guys.

May 19, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 14
For me the D2000s sounded hollow in the middle. For a reference headphone your AD900s would be better although I suspect you may need some closed cans which is a problem as I've yet to hear a good yet reasonably priced set of closed headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back