Denon D2000 first impressions:
Mar 6, 2008 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kenratboy

New Head-Fier
Bought these things because I needed closed back and I got a very good price for being a dealer.

Please note I am a silly n00b, so this is also me talking about my first experience with good cans, but before I get my amp.

Used a pair of $100 Sony studio phones before, and they were 'good'.

First impressions of the Denon's:

-BIG!
-Made in China (I thought it was Japan on these)
-Light, especially for their size and application
-Great sound isolation (both for the listener and victims in the room)
-Great size adjustment (metal-on-metal 'clicks')
-Need a LOT of power (compared to the Sony's)
-I think I was expecting them to be better built (fit and finish, but quality is fine)

As for the sound:

-Lots of bass, as much bass as you could ever want
-Brutally revealing of ANYTHING that is not right in the sound. Same way my 2-channel rig rips apart bad recordings, these headphones shame most of the stuff I played, I kept thinking, "Hmmmm, they could have done a better job recording this" and "Wow, they did an awesome job!"
-Very effortless and powerful sound, these things are workhorses.
-Great imaging. Listing to one song where the brass instruments were coming from my 'blind spot' (if looking straight ahead is 0-degrees, the sound was clearly coming from 135-degrees, and sounded wonderful, although probably wrong!)
-Their ability to clearly play 5, 10, 15 sounds at once is amazing. I play a game on my 2-channel rig where I listen to a song a few times, and each time, pick out one aspect to pay attention to (some little fill sound, for example). The Sony's were 'good', but now that I have heard the Denon's, I realize how much those things blended the sound together.

Overall, I cannot wait to run these things in and get a good amp. While my experience is limited with headphones, these are already proving to be something far beyond ordinary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back