Denon D2000 experiences please
Aug 27, 2007 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

TwinFinnley

100+ Head-Fier
After reading many different threads about the Denon D2000, I may very well be seduced into getting a pair for myself, although I haven't taken the plunge yet. They will be my first pair of headphones and so my experience is very limited (newb level). However, my baby brother just bought a pair of Triports which seem to throw out some nice bass compared to some of the other headphones we listened to in the store, albeit a slight sloppy? I was impressed, however, to see that for something so cheaply made (TP plastics looked very weak) they seemed to put out some good sound. About a third of my listening will be from my iPod while at the library while finishing university, so isolation would be nice as well as a lack of leakage. I do like bass; when I listen to Suite for Solo Cello No. 1 in G Maj, I want it to sound like I have my ear two inches away from the lowest string. But I also enjoy listening to other types of music, rock, jazz and big band. Looking for closed cans $275 or less. Any thoughts?

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 34
I have D2000s. I listened to several different Bose headsets at a BestBuy (or similar store) recently and was unimpressed with any of them. The D2000 is in a different league than any headphone that Bose makes.

That said, I'm not sure that the iPod will be able to drive the D2000s to their fullest potential. I use a HeadRoom Total AirHead amp (in high gain mode) between my various sources and the D2000 and it makes a BIG difference. If you can swing it, it's worth getting an amp for these cans.

As far as isolation and leakage, I haven't had a problem with either on local mass transit. Isolation isn't great, but would be perfect for a cube farm/library/non-zoo environment. Leakage should be acceptable as long as you're not listening at levels that would be damaging to your ears.

If you do some searching, you'll also find that build quality is in question with the D2000s. They sometimes ship with lose screws that will eventually back out and the headphone will fall apart. People recommend tightening them up and using some sort of adhesive to keep them together.

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by xollox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do some searching, you'll also find that build quality is in question with the D2000s. They sometimes ship with lose screws that will eventually back out and the headphone will fall apart. People recommend tightening them up and using some sort of adhesive to keep them together.

Thanks for the quick reply! I have seen several of the threads about the screws coming loose and that would not deter me, I do ME work to put myself through school and I'm quite familiar with loctite and screws.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xollox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, I'm not sure that the iPod will be able to drive the D2000s to their fullest potential.

What you had said about the iPod not being able to drive them, is that from personal experience? I truely have no experience at all, but what I have read about portable music devices not being able to drive the headphones has something to do with the impedance among other factors? I'm still learning. When I read some posts about the Audio Technica AX00's people were saying that they were good for the ipods because they only had 40 ohms. I looked at the D2000s and saw that they only had 25 ohms impedance. Does this make a difference at all?

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 34
I haven't tried iPods specifically, but I have tried my m-audio audiophile (USB Sound card that is generally regarded as a decent device) and it definitely benefited from using the amp. I can see if anyone here at work has an ipod i can test with.

Keep in mind that it won't sound Bad, per se, just not as good as it could.

From what I've read, impedance isn't the only measurement that affects how power hungry a set of cans is. I'm not an EE, so I can't help you much with that. I can only tell you my personal experience.

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFinnley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the quick reply! I have seen several of the threads about the screws coming loose and that would not deter me, I do ME work to put myself through school and I'm quite familiar with loctite and screws.

What you had said about the iPod not being able to drive them, is that from personal experience? I truely have no experience at all, but what I have read about portable music devices not being able to drive the headphones has something to do with the impedance among other factors? I'm still learning. When I read some posts about the Audio Technica AX00's people were saying that they were good for the ipods because they only had 40 ohms. I looked at the D2000s and saw that they only had 25 ohms impedance. Does this make a difference at all?

Hi,

Key terms stated, as xollox says: "To their FULL potential"...And that is very good warranted advise... However, you are correct these phones or my (now gone) RS-2s drive quite well suprisingly so, from my 1G Shuffle albeit short of the dbs I otherwise would prefer but the sound quality does not suffer vs as with the other cans in my inventory, for instance.

I would say, the Denons are a safe bet for being pleased with proformance from the iPod at that price point with isolation and extream comfort for longer listening sessions IME!

Afterwards, you might clearly see your upgrade path as described above and there will be gained sound quality doing so; However, I do think you'll be pleased in the meantime thru the iPod, IMO...

Hope this helps in your decision and leads to your satisfaction
wink.gif

Good luck~

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 34
For the 2 days I had the D2000s before I shipped them off to Moonaudio for Silverdragon cables, they ran beautifully out of a Corda Move, and, as expected, a Microdac/Heed Canampset up. And I mean beautifully. When I sent my D2000s to
Drew @ Moon, I asked him to check the loose screw issue and he found none.

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Key terms stated as: "To their FULL potential"... However, you are correct these phones or my (now gone) RS-2s drive quite well suprisingly so, from my 1G Shuffle albeit short of the dbs I otherwise would prefer but the sound quality does not suffer vs the other cans in my inventory.

Thanks for the post! You said that your 1g Shuffle drives them well, would you get the same output from a 30g vid ipod? I dont know if there would be any difference between the two. Thanks!

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 34
I like the amp and use it on the train and at work. I haven't used any other amp so I can't tell you how it compares.

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the 2 days I had the D2000s before I shipped them off to Moonaudio for Silverdragon cables, they ran beautifully out of a Corda Move, and, as expected, a Microdac/Heed Canampset up. And I mean beautifully. When I sent my D2000s to
Drew @ Moon, I asked him to check the loose screw issue and he found none.

I have read about getting the stock cables replaced with aftermarket ones, how does this improve performance / sound? What would something like that cost as well, and is it difficult to do?

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Thanks for the post! You said that your 1g Shuffle drives them well, would you get the same output from a 30g vid ipod? I dont know if there would be any difference between the two. Thanks!

The 1G Shuffle is known for its sound quality amongst apples line up, however I would believe the iPod maybe more powerful in terms of db output and perhaps on the same level of SQ. No direct experience here between the two, just from what I have read in my log on time
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

I have read about getting the stock cables replaced with aftermarket ones, how does this improve performance / sound? What would something like that cost as well, and is it difficult to do?

There is nothing glaringly wrong with the D2000 stock cable for a year or two,IMO... Perhaps a 5-10% gain in SQ presupposed upon the resolution of the upstream gear... I'd suggest spending that $150 on your music first, IMO
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #14 of 34
That sounds like good advice, Hi-Finthen, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since D2000 has had very little discussion on this forum, I can tell you that they are nice cans.

How does the soundscape compare to other headphones?

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 34
Bill, my experience with aftermarket cables is a bit different.
The improvement on my 701s and 650s was dramatic, way past the 5-10% range. It fixed many of the glaring deficiencies that were present, such as bass with the 701s and muddiness and lack of energy with the 650s. Moonaudio was so impressed with the Silverdragon cable on the D2000s that he is putting it into his line. Just my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back