Denon D2000 + EQ = Magic to My Ears!
Jan 17, 2009 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mmanolio

Head-Fier
Hi,
I am a broadcast / recording professional that has been searching for a replacement for my venerable reference headphone of the past 20 years, the Sony V6 / 7506.

I am trying to keep my upper limit at about $300 since I may need to purchase multiple pairs of the phones I finally decide on.

So far I have tried the Ultrasone Pro 750 and the Denon AH-D2000. The 750 has amazing bass but the mids and highs seem a bit rough to me, even after 200 hours of burn-in, but they still are a contender.

I really like the (stock) Denon AH-D2000 so far, especially the smoothness of the highs. These drivers seem to have very low distortion for dynamic drivers. The bass is similar to the 750, maybe not quite as heavy, but there was just something missing in the mids and the bass would sometimes overshadow and muddy it, seeming a bit flabby at times. the Denon also is extremely comfortable.

Well, looking at the only graph of the D2000's frequency response I could find, I noticed 2 prominent dips in the response at 2.5 kHz and 5 kHz. There really don't seem to be any prominent peaks in the response, compared to the peakiness in the treble response of the 7506, which is good and what I am trying to get away from.

In my Cakewalk Sonar recording rig, I used a parametric EQ plugin to generate an inverse boost to fill in those 2 dips.

It seems to my ears, or at least with my copy of the D2000, that the graph of the response seems a bit exaggerated and I didn't need quite the amount of boost that I thought. Maybe my pair is closer to the response of the D5000
icon10.gif

WOW!
atsmile.gif
This transforms the stock D2000 into a reference phone that I should be able to mix with! It increases the clarity of these upper-mids so as to completely eliminate (to my ears) the muddying of them by the bass.

I shudder to think what this combined with the markl mods, that reportedly tighten the bass and improve the soundstage, would be like!!

Here is a pic of the parametric EQ plugin with the EQ I am applying:

456119703_dp9Z5-L.jpg

Anyone else out there with D2000's and a fully adjustable parametric EQ that can try this and give me a sanity check?

Thanks,
--M--

Users who are viewing this thread

Back