Denon D2000/D5000 - amount of sound leakage?
Mar 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #16 of 29
The D2000's have a slight amount of leakage. I tested this out by placing the headphones over a full tissue box (I'm assuming the tissues inside damp the noise similar to the way your head does). The leakage is far less than an open headphone, but is somewhat more than a fully closed headphone. Basically, in a quiet environment someone next to you might hear some light, washy noise coming out of the headphones, but they can't hear the music perfectly like they would be able to with an open headphone.

As some people have mentioned elsewhere, the D2000s are very slightly open. There is a small gap between the silver frame and black portion of the cups. If you place your ear against the gap, you can hear your music perfectly. But again, you literally have to have your ear pressed against it to hear it.

Truth
On low volume they don't leak at all.
On medium - leak is significant.
On high volume - epic amount of leakage, i mean EPIC - whole building will be able to hear your music.
Denon cans meant to be listened LOUD. On medium volume they're not that impressive, - your head will not vibrate with subbass they capable to produce. 
So go for something else, like DT770.

Umm, no.

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #17 of 29
i think they are not that bad. I use them to study at libraries and my friends across the table cant hear anything.

i guess unless your office is completely silent that would be an issue.

another earphone i thought had nice soundstage and isolate well are the dt770 and the akg 272? both need an amp to bring up the volume though.

hope this helps :D

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #18 of 29

Quote:

OP, buy them, but when your coworkers say "TURN THEM OFF!!" you know who to blame.
I used mine for some time in the office(i was forced to listen on low volume to not disturb coworker sitting next to me
triportsad.gif
), so i know what i'm talking about.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #19 of 29

The D2000's have a slight amount of leakage. I tested this out by placing the headphones over a full tissue box (I'm assuming the tissues inside damp the noise similar to the way your head does). The leakage is far less than an open headphone, but is somewhat more than a fully closed headphone. Basically, in a quiet environment someone next to you might hear some light, washy noise coming out of the headphones, but they can't hear the music perfectly like they would be able to with an open headphone.

As some people have mentioned elsewhere, the D2000s are very slightly open. There is a small gap between the silver frame and black portion of the cups. If you place your ear against the gap, you can hear your music perfectly. But again, you literally have to have your ear pressed against it to hear it.

Thing is, the pads on the denons are curved to fit the head. A flat tissue box will leak more than a head.
Find a buddy, and have him try your headphones.

Quote:
On low volume they don't leak at all.
On medium - leak is significant.
On high volume - epic amount of leakage, i mean EPIC - whole building will be able to hear your music.
Denon cans meant to be listened LOUD. On medium volume they're not that impressive, - your head will not vibrate with subbass they capable to produce. 
So go for something else, like DT770.

I'm going to agree with Magick here.

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #20 of 29
OP, buy them, but when your coworkers say "TURN THEM OFF!!" you know who to blame.

I used mine for some time in the office(i was forced to listen on low volume to not disturb coworker sitting next to me :triportsad: ), so i know what i'm talking about.

Sorry, but that's pure hyperbole. Unless you're listening at some ridiculous volume that will cause permanent hearing damage, they will not have an "epic amount of leakage". :rolleyes: They leak a little, it's minor.

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #21 of 29

Quote:

Thing is, the pads on the denons are curved to fit the head. A flat tissue box will leak more than a head.
Find a buddy, and have him try your headphones.

Haha yeah it wasn't a very scientific test, but the seal looked pretty good so I thought it'd be pretty accurate.

Regardless, I think most of us are in agreement here that the headphones don't leak much and that the OP should just go ahead with the purchase. As long as your coworkers are sitting at least a desk length away, I think you should be fine. And if you are separated by cubicles / offices, then even better. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #22 of 29

Quote:
They leak if they're turned up loud, but they are not open cans. There are "better" options, like the Beyer T70, but the D2000/D5000 are fairly "contained" sound-wise. If durability is a concern, I'd take the D2000 over the D5000 (plastic v wood), or consider another headphone altogether (like a Beyer - the Denons are not super-tough by contrast). 

D2000 is not plastic, it is magnesium. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:
Sorry, but that's pure hyperbole. Unless you're listening at some ridiculous volume that will cause permanent hearing damage, they will not have an "epic amount of leakage".
rolleyes.gif
They leak a little, it's minor.

I work in an office, use a FiiO E11, and I'm constantly getting told to turn them down.  Anything above 3.5/8 on the FiiO people complain... and not people sitting next to me, people who are in a different cubicle about 10 feet away.

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #27 of 29
D2000 is not plastic, it is magnesium. 

When will people stop repeating this myth? :confused_face_2: The ear-cups are absolutely plastic. The magnesium construction refers to the magnesium alloy that's used on the frame members (which is common to all three headphones in the series). If you don't believe me, take them apart and have a look. The marketing material also disagrees with this claim. :xf_eek:

To the leakage - I think the hyperbole comes from them leaking (both IN and OUT) more than many truly sealed headphones (like the T70, and I assume the DT770 by extension) which will contain ear-shattering levels of noise and deaden a lot of outside noise. I can understand people in an office or similar environment complaining though. If you have co-workers that need a reason to complain, your headphones are probably going to give it to them. :wink: ("I know, Milton, I know you're allowed to have the radio - I just thought, you know, as a personal favor..."). I think there are perhaps better options if you're trying to avoid this confrontation (like the T70), but overall these shouldn't be much of a problem in a conventional space where you don't have some hypervigilant pain in the neck stalking your every move (and I feel for anyone who has co-workers like that; it's not fun).

Oh, and when I say T70, go find T70p if you mean for portable use. :)

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:
When will people stop repeating this myth?
confused_face_2.gif
The ear-cups are absolutely plastic. The magnesium construction refers to the magnesium alloy that's used on the frame members (which is common to all three headphones in the series). If you don't believe me, take them apart and have a look. The marketing material also disagrees with this claim.
redface.gif

To the leakage - I think the hyperbole comes from them leaking (both IN and OUT) more than many truly sealed headphones (like the T70, and I assume the DT770 by extension) which will contain ear-shattering levels of noise and deaden a lot of outside noise. I can understand people in an office or similar environment complaining though. If you have co-workers that need a reason to complain, your headphones are probably going to give it to them.
wink.gif
("I know, Milton, I know you're allowed to have the radio - I just thought, you know, as a personal favor..."). I think there are perhaps better options if you're trying to avoid this confrontation (like the T70), but overall these shouldn't be much of a problem in a conventional space where you don't have some hypervigilant pain in the neck stalking your every move (and I feel for anyone who has co-workers like that; it's not fun).
Oh, and when I say T70, go find T70p if you mean for portable use.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the real answer is to bring a pair of floorstanders and a nice big amp. You won't be able to hear them complain. :)

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #29 of 29
I think the real answer is to bring a pair of floorstanders and a nice big amp. You won't be able to hear them complain. :)

Where's Steve with a ridiculous picture when you need him? :p

This image will have to do:
(Also, whoever's image that I just used Bing to ripoff :)o); you have a NICE looking system).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back