Denon D2000/D5000 - amount of sound leakage?
Mar 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

WhatNoItsMe

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I work in an office environment where I don't want to annoy others with sound leakage from my headphones.  Open cans such as Grado's or open Sennheisers are pretty much out of the question even at 'normal' volume.

Currently I'm using Sennheiser HD 25-1-II, which are good, but a bit uncomfortable.  The sound is good although I'd prefer a bit more soundstage.

I've read good things about the Denon D2000 and D5000.  I'm interested in them because they supposedly have excellent soundstage for closed headphones.  However I've also read that they leak audio.  I'm not so much worried about isolation from outside noises - I just don't want to bother those around me.

Can anyone who owns the D2000/D5000 comment on the amount of sound leakage?

Thanks!

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 29
They leak if they're turned up loud, but they are not open cans. There are "better" options, like the Beyer T70, but the D2000/D5000 are fairly "contained" sound-wise. If durability is a concern, I'd take the D2000 over the D5000 (plastic v wood), or consider another headphone altogether (like a Beyer - the Denons are not super-tough by contrast). 

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 29
Heya,

It leaks out more than in. But it does leak. It's not as bad as a Grado, but it does leak some. I think it's over-stated how much it leaks though often here, like many things, due to exaggeration. If you're in a cubicle with someone else, they will hear it at high volumes. At low-moderate volume, not likely going to hear it.

If it's imperative to have as much isolation as you can get passively, consider also:

Brainwavz HM5
Beyer DT770
Ultrasone PRO 750

Very best,

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 29

Quote:
There are "better" options, like the Beyer T70, but the D2000/D5000 are fairly "contained" sound-wise.

Interesting.  I've owned the Beyer 770's (not the T70) and didn't care for them but that was a few years and 2 headphone amps ago. 

Since I'm using them at an office desk only, durability is not a primary concern.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #5 of 29

Never tried the DT770, but I've been told they are very different headphones. The T70 is a fairly neutral/lean presentation but can get a bit harsh on the top-end. The D2000 is probably a good choice here (I'm nervous to suggest a woodie because of the issues of chips/dents/cracks/scratches, but you'll know better than I whether or not it will survive). 
Quote:
Interesting.  I've owned the Beyer 770's (not the T70) and didn't care for them but that was a few years and 2 headphone amps ago. 

Since I'm using them at an office desk only, durability is not a primary concern.

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 29
Pro 900's. 
A bit more warmer than the 750's and bass goes deeper. 

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 29
I thought D2000 would leak much before I bought one from what I read around here. I really don't think the leakage are that bad. I listen to them unamped and at mid volume in quiet places and usually people around me can't tell what music I'm playing.

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:
I thought D2000 would leak much before I bought one from what I read around here. I really don't think the leakage are that bad. I listen to them unamped and at mid volume in quiet places and usually people around me can't tell what music I'm playing.

I agree. I think lot of people make a false deduction based on the large amount of sound leakage when the headphones are off of their head. I was quite surprised how little the sound leaked when I first sat next to someone with it on. Of course, stuffing the ear pads or J$ further helps it in that regards. 

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 29
They leak at higher volumes, but it isn't obnoxious.

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 29

Quote:

I think lot of people make a false deduction based on the large amount of sound leakage when the headphones are off of their head.

A lot of the misinformation and over-exaggerated information is spawned by the mass amount of copy & pasting something they've read, even if they've not actually experienced [insert headphone, DAC/AMP, accessory here].

Very best,

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #13 of 29
The sound leakage is really minimum compared to almost any other headphone since they're closed ear. Both the D2K and D5K share the same driver, but I think the wood cups on the D5Ks might hold the sound better.

I have a pair of new ones for sale if you're interested. Just shoot a PM. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #14 of 29
On low volume they don't leak at all.
On medium - leak is significant.
On high volume - epic amount of leakage, i mean EPIC - whole building will be able to hear your music.
Denon cans meant to be listened LOUD. On medium volume they're not that impressive, - your head will not vibrate with subbass they capable to produce. 
So go for something else, like DT770.

Mar 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 29
The D2000's have a slight amount of leakage. I tested this out by placing the headphones over a full tissue box (I'm assuming the tissues inside damp the noise similar to the way your head does). The leakage is far less than an open headphone, but is somewhat more than a fully closed headphone. Basically, in a quiet environment someone next to you might hear some light, washy noise coming out of the headphones, but they can't hear the music perfectly like they would be able to with an open headphone.

As some people have mentioned elsewhere, the D2000s are very slightly open. There is a small gap between the silver frame and black portion of the cups. If you place your ear against the gap, you can hear your music perfectly. But again, you literally have to have your ear pressed against it to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back