Denon d2000 :D
Jan 24, 2012 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Bassboostme72

New Head-Fier
Well decided let loose and buy the denon's I am on a very tight budget and I herd these headphones need a little extra juice to get the best out of them so I was thinking a fiio e5 or e6 or a $40 cmoyy from eBay I need help deciding very confused if these amps will even help these cans...budget is under 75 usd

btw I am a bass adict but still care about the other frequencies as well

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 14
The Fiio E9 is very popular among the budget amps...may be a bit over your budget, but good value. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 14
For your budget I'd go with the E11 instead of the E5 or E6. Do you need it to be portable? Or mainly to be used on your desk? Because if portability isn't that important to you I can't recommend the E10 enough. It's not just an amp, but a great DAC as well for the price, and it's still transportable. You can probably find it for around your budget, maybe $5-10 bucks more at the most. But the sound quality jump is really noticeable.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 14
Probably should of clarified that even tho it is not recommended I am using these for portable use I am probably getting a nice hard case too, just to protect them a little better when I put them in my backpack. I am considering even a digizoid amp after a little saving of course are any of the amps I listed even a mediocre combo with these cans?

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 14
Interesting I have read alot of contradictory reviews as far as the amp situation goes I might just get the e10 because in one review a guy actually pairs it with his d2000. thanks everyone here at head-fi for all the information on my new found hobby (reading about headphones and amps that is because Its actually too expensive to buy the stuff.) I can not express my apreciation to you guys.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 14
The fiio e10 is excellent with the d2000's. As a recovering bass addict, with bass boost on, the d2000's will unleash some very visceral bass-age.
Without bass boost, they are very articulate and do a better job immersing you with increased mids/soundstaging.

However, you haven't posted as to what your source would be. The e10 is only usable with a computer feeding it through usb. 

Lastly, regarding the d2000's, if you wanted a do-it-all can that has an excellent portrayal of all frequencies, you've got yourself an excellent headphone. However, stock, they aren't really too bass-y in my opinion (nowhere near as earth shattering as Ultrasone Pro 900's) , so I hope you aren't disappointed with their stock sound (referring to your bass addiction).

Your mileage may vary.

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
The fiio e10 is excellent with the d2000's. As a recovering bass addict, with bass boost on, the d2000's will unleash some very visceral bass-age.
Without bass boost, they are very articulate and do a better job immersing you with increased mids/soundstaging.

However, you haven't posted as to what your source would be. The e10 is only usable with a computer feeding it through usb. 

Lastly, regarding the d2000's, if you wanted a do-it-all can that has an excellent portrayal of all frequencies, you've got yourself an excellent headphone. However, stock, they aren't really too bass-y in my opinion (nowhere near as earth shattering as Ultrasone Pro 900's) , so I hope you aren't disappointed with their stock sound (referring to your bass addiction).

Your mileage may vary.

He could always get an equalizer of choice and crank up the bass if that's what he's going for, or buy different headphones.
And no the D2K don't need an amp, they work fine out of my Cowon J3 without me even having to max volume.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 14
My source is an ipod touch 4th gen which does have a preset eq on it and my samsumg admire smaeth phone which has a ten band eq on it. I was researching the e10 and after a couple minutes I did realize it can only connect to a desktop. While researching I also found the e11 which seems like the same as the e10 but without the dac feature. I rly hope im not dissapointed the only reason I didnt get the pro900 was price considering I got the denons for $225

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 14

They do benefit from an amp. It's not only about how loud you can play them, but sound quality will also improve with better amplification.
Quote:

He could always get an equalizer of choice and crank up the bass if that's what he's going for, or buy different headphones.
And no the D2K don't need an amp, they work fine out of my Cowon J3 without me even having to max volume.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #12 of 14
Good deal!

That's a great price for the d2000's ( new? ). I'd buy them again and sell them if I got that great of a deal.

The e11 should amplify things wonderfully, especially since its toted to have a significantly stronger amp portion in comparison to the e10.

To get the best sound, you're probably going to want a LOD for the iTouch, and run it to the e11. That would definitely be a good setup. Although you may be irritated with the length/girth of the cord (fantastic cord, just not great for portability). So I'd imagine you'll just be listening at home!

Lastly, as previously mentioned, if you want a killer all-around headphone with a slight bass emphasis, the d2000's will treat you right (in their stock form - no eq). Also, with the e11 and bass boost, you'll also get some hefty bass that will make them sound even more engaging (incredible improvement for genres like electronica, trance, hip-hop, etc...).

If you wanted a pure basshead headphone, you may consider looking elsewhere (dt770 pro 80, pro700mk2, sony xb series, etc...).

Ultimately, you've invested in a great sounding and comfortable can, I hope you'll be plenty delighted with your purchase.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #13 of 14
Yeah, the E11 is a great amp for the price. Much better than the E5/E6 that's for sure. Micca has a great deal on Amazon where they give you an extra battery + charger for free http://amzn.to/zbY4kp

x2 on the LOD, you'll get better sound.

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 14
Yes they are new! I am not worried about the cord a bread tie or zip tie will fix that ( or a little re soldering). I can get the e11 and lod for a combo of about $80 new so I think that's a pretty good deal for a good amp. I am also going to mod each screw with a little locktite so I won't have that problem. I listen to everything from hard rap to country to classical nd even old Neil diamond so I think this can will be best suited for my tastes from what I have read this is an absolute perfect can especially for the price I got. I'm not a complete bass head I do enjoy quality not just quantity that's why I chose the denon over the other I did have a hard decision between beyers and these but I read these have more bass plus the only thing I liked about the beyers were the ear pads... if only I could put them on the denons... ah I would just be the happiest person alive. I would really like to thank all of you guys on this forum for all the help I put in close to 1000 hours in reading. I went frOm an $8 pair of skull candy hps to something that will last for a couple years. Thank you all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back