Denon D2000 compared to Sleek SA-6
Dec 14, 2008 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Spadge

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

In my current search for a new pair of home headphones... and with the lack of any sort of way to trial anything here in Australia.... I am trying to determine how the Denon D2000 (top of my shortlist) sound.

Can anyone compare how the Denon's compare to my sleek SA6 (modded bass+, treble+ ports) when listening to metal and hard rock?

In another thread I started they were compared to be 'similar' but would like more clarification from anyone who can give it. Especially in the area of bass impact, soundstage and clarity.

Thanks for any insight. I appreciate it.

Paul

Dec 14, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 12
How could anyone think that they are similar? The D2000 certainly has a much stronger bass, its bass response is deeper, more impactfull, and heavier than the SA6 by a country mile. On the other hand its mids is a bit recessed and speed wise the SA6 easily beats it. Soundstage wise of course a full size can will beat an IEM. I guess the only similarity is that both has a very smooth and a bit rolled-off treble response. Clarity wise the D2000 is extremely good, but not as good as the SA6. How good they are as rock/metal cans depends on what type of rock/metal you listen to, cause the lack of speed in the D2000 can be very annoying for the songs that demand lots of prat. The D2000 is much closer to the HD600/HD650 than it is to the SA6. If you have heard the C751 it's similar.

Dec 14, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks,

That what you described is pretty much what I will be hoping for.

These will be amped by my Meier Cantate if it makes any difference...

I listen to a fair variety when it comes to rock and metal. Anything from older rock (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Doors) to some modern stuff (Tool, ACDC, System of a Down, Metallica, Pantera) and also some heavier stuff (Lamb of God). Probably all in equal amounts depending on what mood I am in.

Can you give me some examples of songs/artists in this genre that the D2000's struggle with?

Paul

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 12
Well I should be able to answer my question soon. I ordered a pair of D2000's
smily_headphones1.gif

Paul

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 12
How much you ordered the D2000 and from where? my friend ordered from youprice.com.au couple of weeks ago :p still backordered. for $374 without postage.

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 12
I ordered them off an eBay seller for AU$400 plus shipping. A little more expensive but I should get them sooner hopefully
smily_headphones1.gif

Paul

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 12
ah yes ebay nice... cant believe they are cheap, since in some Hi-Fi shops they still mention $799 retail price!!!

i just checked its should be around $450+ AUD. since the postage on that deal says $33.99 USD? and exchange rate wise right now is about that.

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 12
They'd be a lot cheaper if it wasn't for the crappy Aussie dollar.

Yep I think I paid $448 or something close to that.

Paul

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 12
Ah cool, i havent heard that yet, just waiting for my friend to bring it to work. Hehe
hell yeah it'll just be $367 when at .81 and lower when its at .96..

which i currently find there are still shops who would sell it cheaper have stock when their imported at high aussie dollar, anything else has just sky rocketed
frown.gif
TF10 (430 vs 600) Ultrasone Pro750 (430 vs 550 (on ebay))

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 12
I believe that Sleek SA-6, in general an IEM simply cannot be compared to a relatively mid-high end Fullsize headphone :p Even my Triple Fi.10 is crap for dvds/gaming/music on the computer compared to my Ultrasone Pro 750s surround sound :p There is a simple matter to that the Pro 750s frequency response is way incredible. i dont even need EQ and its clear crisp. while the Triple Fi.10 i need to adjust the EQ to boost the uppper range, and there is no surround feeling.

On the iPod i would prefer Triple Fi.10 for portable use where i am out and about. Still sometimes i would use my fullsize can still sounds awesome.

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that Sleek SA-6, in general an IEM simply cannot be compared to a relatively mid-high end Fullsize headphone :p Even my Triple Fi.10 is crap for dvds/gaming/music on the computer compared to my Ultrasone Pro 750s surround sound :p There is a simple matter to that the Pro 750s frequency response is way incredible. i dont even need EQ and its clear crisp. while the Triple Fi.10 i need to adjust the EQ to boost the uppper range, and there is no surround feeling.

On the iPod i would prefer Triple Fi.10 for portable use where i am out and about. Still sometimes i would use my fullsize can still sounds awesome.

tf10 needs a portable amp, or it will just the same as sf5

Dec 15, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenio851121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tf10 needs a portable amp, or it will just the same as sf5

even with the amp i doubt it'll sound similar to my big can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back