Denon D2000 bass?
Feb 22, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #91 of 115
yeah the pro 900 and denon are often confused as well. like some people just recommend the pro 900 for bass heads, but they don't go as deep as the denons. the denons have the most sub-bass out of any headphone i own. they sound like a real subwoofer too, love them! 

the sub-bass comes out when you need it and doesn't get in the way when you play less bassy music. listening to some dar williams (folk), and the bass never gets in the way.

i am probably going to upgrade to the D7000 soon, i'm loving these d2000.

if i find out the d7k loses bass slam vs the d2k, i'll just end up getting lawton mods or something

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #93 of 115

Quote:
The D7k's don't have as much bass, but a little time will get you used to them, and the bass will be damn amazing.

thats what im worried about, i'm mostly worried about the sub-bass amount.

i want the same bass as the d2000, just better sound quality. the bass is important because i have LCD-2 which are better than the d7000 but have even less bass amount

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #95 of 115

Quote:

I just got my Denon 2K's and yea, these things don't even come close to having anything resembling bass.

Wut? I quite Seriously had these rattle on my head listening to Android Lust.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #96 of 115

Quote:
The D7k's don't have as much bass, but a little time will get you used to them, and the bass will be damn amazing.

I don't have D2000 anymore, but I remember my first impressions with D7000 soon after - WHOA THE BASS!! Probably due to it having slightly more mid-bass? Not good enough audio memory to compare sub-bass from long time ago..

Can't justify the money for D7000 though after getting my HE-500, so I'll return it... maybe someday I'll get a cheap used D5000/D7000 for fun (hell maybe just XB700 or so).

moar edit: The money meaning: D7000 here in europe is about $950. I sure might consider it for $600 or so like in the US (E-E).

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #97 of 115
I think Denons are as good as it gets for audiophile bassheads. I've tried most cans that are meant to be good for bass (except Thunderpants, Darth Beyers and the DX1000) and if you aren't impressed by the Denon range, you should just buy some Beats, XB500s or a cheap Logitech 2.1 set and quit HF.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #100 of 115
You can mark me down as another person who is dissatisfied with the bass on the D2k's.  Though I feel like my experiences are different still than most in here.  I've had my Denons for around a year now, I've never been completely satisfied with them, but life had been so busy with moving around between jobs, and funds were so tight that I didn't have time to really explore why until now.

I've spent the last several days going back and forth between my D2k's, my Triple Fi 10's and a friends M50's on a variety of songs to try and pinpoint what it was that wasn't satisfying my listening needs on the Denons..

I initially knew I was dissatisfied with the bass, especially compared to the praise that is usually thrown upon them.  I initially wrote it off as there wasn't enough bass for me, despite being far from a basshead.  I've come to realize that the bass is certainly there, it's just not presented as I want it to be.  I don't listen to much Techno, but I do listen to a lot of electronic-fusion, nu-jazz and electronic fused with hip hop beats or rock instruments (RJD2, Quantic, Inf, Thievery Corp, etc). 

I feel like with most of these songs, the sub-bass is almost always present in the background in the recordings and it results an ever-present, farting rumble with the Denons.  The sub-bass is more forward than it should be and less controlled.  On some songs it almost feels like it's rattling your head, not necessarily in a good way as I feel the Triple Fi's had more power in the sub-bass but without the rattling.

Mid-bass is what is most important to me, I'm a glutton for bass guitars, songs with funky twanging and plucking bass strings.  Red Hot Chili Peppers, SMV, James Brown, etc.  This is where I initially knew I wasn't satisfied with the Denons as I knew the enjoyment I could get out of SMV's dueling bass guitar solos and I never experienced it with the Denons.  Going between the TF-10s and D2k's it was immediately apparent the difference.  The D2k's emphasized the low end bass strums which again sounded more like a farting noise than a bass strum, and also the hi-hat hits were brought far more forward over the guitars in a distracting way.  With the Triple Fi's the bass guitars had the a far more authoritative sound, the string plucks were deeper and had a far more satisfying reverb.  With the Denons the bass guitars sounded almost twangy by comparison, more like a Banjo than a bass.  With the Chili Peppers, Flea's bass lines are supposed to be prominent, just below the vocals, with the Triple Fi's I get this.  With the Denons you can certainly pick out the bass line but it's muffled by other things like cymbol crashes and backup vocals.

I don't mean to completely put down the Denons, there is certainly quality there.  I don't find the mid's recessed as I've seen others say, I think the mids just gets drowned out in certain songs by the rumbling, uncontrolled bass and excessively sharp highs.  When I listen to songs where I'm less concerned about a prominent Bass guitar or high energy bass beats like with Jeff Beck or Ben Harper, I think the Denons handle them beautifully, if with a little less-energy than I'd like.

I certainly don't claim to be an experienced audio expert, but I find it really surprising to see so much undisputed praise about the D2k's, I really thought there was something wrong with me for not being as excited or fulfilled from them.  There are a few threads like this one though, I just have to figure that it comes down to differences in the type of music people are listening to, and/or personal preference.  Even taking that into account though, I can't help but feel the Denons are a little over-hyped by some people. Maybe there just aren't enough suitable contenders at this price range that don't over color the music in one way or another.

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #103 of 115
I was too disappointed with the bass of my d2000s. That being said, once a good seal is made, the sub bass really does shine. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back