Denon D2000 bass?
Jan 20, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #32 of 115
Man reading the OP's comments about the d2ks is very disconcerting....
I am pretty much set on buying the d2ks for its quality bass sooooo can OP plz give TMRaven's suggestions a go and report back on what they are like?

If you compared the FR charts between M50 and D2k(M50 vs. D2000), the M50s would appear to be much more bass heavy (impact + extension); but i assume we shouldn't read those charts for the absolute amplitude, but the relative differences between different frequencies, in which case the M50s rolloff in bass much sooner (~50hz) than the d2ks(~30hz), so in theory the d2ks should have better bass response than the M50s at least bass extension wise? Is this a correct interpretation of the charts?

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #33 of 115
Man reading the OP's comments about the d2ks is very disconcerting...

One thing I have learned from this site is that you cannot rely on written words to judge the performance of headphones, you need to put them on your head and come to your own conclusions.

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #34 of 115

Quote:
Man reading the OP's comments about the d2ks is very disconcerting....
I am pretty much set on buying the d2ks for its quality bass sooooo can OP plz give TMRaven's suggestions a go and report back on what they are like?

If you compared the FR charts between M50 and D2k(M50 vs. D2000), the M50s would appear to be much more bass heavy (impact + extension); but i assume we shouldn't read those charts for the absolute amplitude, but the relative differences between different frequencies, in which case the M50s rolloff in bass much sooner (~50hz) than the d2ks(~30hz), so in theory the d2ks should have better bass response than the M50s at least bass extension wise? Is this a correct interpretation of the charts?

I've heard both, the D2000's bass extension is leagues ahead of the M50.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #35 of 115
Well found a pair for 200$ time to give them a go.
Thx for the replies, but Im still curious to hear back from the OP; hope theres no such thing as malfunctioning bass response lol
basshead.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #37 of 115
The D2000's have a very tame, but slightly loose bass. It's deep and slamming when it needs to be.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #38 of 115

Quote:
I would consider M50's bass extension to be very, very good, and D2000's marginally better, but not hugely.  The main difference I hear in their bass compared to the M50 is impact.

Hmmm that description reflects quite well with the FR charts I've seen. But my reasoning is that if the drivers can go deeper, then they should have no problem giving more impact with the right amount of juice/EQ? (from my limited experience with home theatre subs)
Is it true that if u were to boost the D2000s bass you could get more impact than the M50?

Quote:
It's deep and slamming when it needs to be.

Haha very reassuring words. I want the bass to be like my subwoofer, be there loud and clear when it's supposed to be and invisible otherwise.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #40 of 115
I have both D2000 and HIFI 580 and had M50 briefly.  As far as bass impact is concerned, I give it to D2000.  It's also very deep.  However, it's not as fast as HIFI 580.  I find the bass quality of D2000 is better than M50.  M50 has more bloated and boomy bass and is not as defined as that of HIFI 580 or D2000.  If I have to rate bass quality of these cans, it would be like this D2000 > HIFI 580 > M50

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #41 of 115
If I could use open cans I would jump on that suggestion right away, but my roommates probably gonna hate those as much as the 12 inch infinity sub Im resting my feet on right now xD
But out of curiosity, would the low impedance version be just as good? And what's the difference between the 2 versions qualitatively?

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #42 of 115
Well if you were looking for BASS, then DT990 isn't it when compared to D2000. D2000 still hits harder and reaches way lower, it's just that DT990 doesn't turn into a muddy mess as fast as D2000 when EQing up.  

Supposedly only major difference is the 600Ω can give you a lower noise floor with amps.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #43 of 115
Oh gotcha.

Thought i should pester you as much as can while I have your attention (thx for that =D):
so the question is does upgrading to your amping setup now versus the fiio e7 make a big difference in sound?
I keep reading about how amps are essentially all the same and you really shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 1000$ amp and a 100$ one, yet people keep buying the expensive stuff. What gives? other than having too much money which I doubt ill run into in this lifetime.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #44 of 115
Hmm... 

If you purchased the d2000's looking for an end all in bass reproduction, then you may have just wasted your money on a dream that can't truly be achieved with the d2000's.

While I personally love the bass of the d2000's, its quite un-involving and lacking in quantity across the board compared to my Pro 900's. (And from what I can remember, my old hfi-580s and Beyerdynamic 770 Pros)

If you can bear it, and you just want bass, not a truly world class headphones such as the d2000's, then you may have to take a dive into the V-Moda Bass Freqs. (In-ear yes I'm aware).

They are truly made for bass, at a fairly dirt cheap price compared to most things recommended on this site. I have a pair and they are the bassiest little bastards I've ever heard. 

Else, consider returning/selling them, and if you must go the over-ear route, get yourself some Pro 900's and/or DT770 Pros. They have quite a slam that can't truly be explained in words.

My 2 cents.

Happy hunting.

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #45 of 115

Quote:
Oh gotcha.

Thought i should pester you as much as can while I have your attention (thx for that =D):
so the question is does upgrading to your amping setup now versus the fiio e7 make a big difference in sound?
I keep reading about how amps are essentially all the same and you really shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 1000$ amp and a 100$ one, yet people keep buying the expensive stuff. What gives? other than having too much money which I doubt ill run into in this lifetime.

Sadly I could never compare the E7 directly to the Little dot because I sold the E7 off before I ever got the Little Dot.  I don't want to completely answer your question, as I'm sure there's plenty of opinionated people when it comes to amps, but there's no doubt there's diminishing returns in every facet of audio.  For easy to drive headphones like the D2000, all you really need is something with a clean dac and amp.  The amount of power is rather a moot point, unless you're listening to masterings with huge dynamic range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back