Denon D2000 amp help (n00b alert!)
Mar 11, 2009 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kenratboy

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Been very happy with my AD-D2000's. No, THRILLED with them
beyersmile.png

I am 'owed' a birthday gift and am looking for a headphone amp, as I am using my Harman Kardon AVR-635 receiver right now (bad, I know). Budget $300 tops...I hope.

This amp will be used at my computer desk and will be within arms reach. I want to get sound from my receiver (to which my CD changer and computer are attached via digital interconnects) to the headphone amp. I can use either analog, optical, or coaxial outputs from the receiver. FWIW, the DAC is very good in the Harman Kardon (or at worst, far better than the one in the CD changer or computer).

What is the best way to go? It looks like I can get a much better analog-only amp (use the receivers DAC) vs. buying an amp with the DAC. Because I am going through the receiver, I only need one input (analog or digital).

I have been thinking about the HeadRoom Micro Amp ($350 with shipping). If this is just the best thing ever, I would be OK spending the money. However, if I could get something for a bit less, I would prefer that.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 12
Already done thread has been already done.

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gilmore Lite or Little Dot MKV, they are solid state amp and should have more than enough juicy to power the D2000.

Thanks.

I see the Gilmore can be purchased in many places, there the Little Dot appears to be one of the direct Chinese imports. Are there issues with warranty on the latter? Any best place to buy it?

Both look very nice.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 12
I would avoid the tube amps becuase your headphones are low impedance, meaning they need higer current which tube amp does not generally supply. Hybrid amp allows the use of a tube and op-amp and supplies higher current. Ive been using the head direct ef1 with good results for $299 with my denon d7000.

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 12
How easy it is to buy a replacement tube for that? I would have the thing on 12 hours a day, nearly 7 days a week. How long for warm-up?

Thanks!

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 12
I'd wait about 30 seconds for it to warm up. New tubes especially with the EF-1 having only one, would be cheap. They also last a while...although I'd avoid having it on 12 hours a day. Do you listen to music 12 hours a day? More than 8 hours or so of a tube amp being on is just excessive heat, wear, and tear. Something to think about. But the tube replacement cost is low and tubes don't get replaced often even when used a lot.

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 12
Yes, I listen to music all day while working/playing on the 'puter. So I would say rule out tube amps for this application. I would say at minimum, the amp would be on 50-60 hours a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back