Denon D2000 a good all-rounder?
Nov 26, 2007 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nugget

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of semi-reasonably priced cans for classical, vocal, a bit of rock, and a bit of FPS gaming. They will be replacing my dearly departed DT770s and MS1s. From what I've read the D2000 is a very good overall can. Input?

Man, I'm like a woman in Macy's here -- overwhelmed by the options, but determined to walk away with something. I've also been looking at the K701, and possibly some Darths....

Incidentally, I'll be running them off a Xiang Sheng 708B tube amp.

-Nuggs-

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 15
I think all-rounder prettymuch sums up the D2000s. They do nothing badly, most everything very well.

The D2000s are extremely similar sounding to the D5000s, which I note are Skylab's headphone of choice when evaluating amplifiers. That should tell you something.

Certainly pretty happy with mine.

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 15
i have one and i definitely agree. althou this is the only full size headphone i had.
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 15
Currently blasting some good ol' psychedelic / progressive rock in my pair of D2000's right now and I couldn't be happier. And on top of everything they're extremely comfortable, you can wear them for days without feeling a thing. Great all-rounders, handles every genre I've thrown at them with flying colors. And that includes just about every kind of music there is ^_^

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 15
Dammit, you're convincing me. How's the isolation on the D2000? And does anybody know how they'd do in games? How 'bout with a tube amp?

Good lord, I can't wait to take the bar exam and be able to actually buy cans for a demo instead of "head-fi-demo-ing" them like this....

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sensing a Mastercard commercial coming on.

person.
tongue.gif

Hehe... No, I learned a long time ago after getting myself in trouble with credit cards that you should only buy what you can afford. Everything in my signature I have paid for with cash. Besides, it feels much better when you actually know you own something outright.

The worst is to buy a product on credit and find out you don't like the product... then you still have to pay for something you don't like. Or not, and get yourself in debt.

Now I just need another $1,400 so I can buy my next piece of equipment.
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #13 of 15
Im listening to some Autechre on mine right now. Just got 'em a few days ago. So far, they are ever-so-slightly more 'condensed' than my HD650s, and seem to have just a little bit of grain on occasion. And the mids are a little more rockish ala Grado. But they need to be burned in.

All in all a great phone. I plan on recabling mine. These are currently the only phone I have tried after owning HD650 that didn't disappoint in comparison. All others I have owned/demoed have been a let down compared to the HD650. Not so with the D2000. It gets surprisingly close in sound, to my ears. And cheaper to boot. But above all, it does so while being quite to others, which is why I bought them (read office use)

Now all I need is my AT L3000 and I'm set
smily_headphones1.gif
(...hey a guy can dream, can't he?)
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #14 of 15
The D2000's would be my first choice for an all arounder.

In the same general price bracket:

2nd choice HD600

3rd choice K601

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, don't worry about me, that was just the jealousy talking.

By the time you have 1,700 posts, I'm sure you'll have quite a nice setup, too! I think when I was at 185 posts I only had an iPod and Shure e2c, or maybe the Super.Fi 5 pro. I only recently, within the past few months, switched over to a home setup. Prior to that, I was still using an iPod and portable amp even with the D5000.

Give it time, Head-Fi will suck you dry yet.
tongue.gif
And you know you've got a bad addiction when Head-Fi goes down for 2 weeks and you start getting withdrawals. Oh well, I guess it's better than the stuff I used to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back