Denon D1001 Question
Mar 27, 2009 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

rawrster

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I am pretty set on buying the Denon D1001 which I do plan on buying pretty soon. I was wondering about the quality of the cable? I've had some bad experience with some of them where they broke and had to get new pairs. If anyone could let me know how durable they are that would be great

thanks

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 18
It seems pretty durable to me. The single wires that split apart are about double the thickness as your standard iPod earbuds.

The connector is also very sturdy.

The picture is the connector compared to a AA battery.

If you have any other questions, feel free to message me. I really like mine
smile_phones.gif

sdc105232209686.jpg

sdc105222224104.jpg

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 18
The cable isn't terrible. It won't break or anything under normal wear. Recabling will result in a very slight improvement in sound, you may not be able to hear it. That's a very contentious topic around here.

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 18
The cable is pretty durable. Me being clumsy, I've had the cable caught on something and continued walking and it would pull the headphones down. The cable is still fine after me doing this at least 5 times..... I probably should be more careful or I should shorten the cable.

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I am pretty set on buying the Denon D1001 which I do plan on buying pretty soon. I was wondering about the quality of the cable? I've had some bad experience with some of them where they broke and had to get new pairs. If anyone could let me know how durable they are that would be great

thanks

its not gonna break
i dont like the feel of the cable, too rubbery, but i doubt its ever gonna break,

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 18
Okay the cable is proably not much worse than other headphones have in this price range, but I wouldn't call it great either. I tested it with the Aurvana Live! which is practically the same with the same cable and it became better recabled. I checked them side-by-side with a burned-in stock one to verify it is not a placebo effect. But yes, if you just plug it into an mp3 player it is not worth to recable it.

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay the cable is proably not much worse than other headphones have in this price range, but I wouldn't call it great either. I tested it with the Aurvana Live! which is practically the same with the same cable and it became better recabled. I checked them side-by-side with a burned-in stock one to verify it is not a placebo effect. But yes, if you just plug it into an mp3 player it is not worth to recable it.

If I was going to start recabling, I'd definitely start with the 2K's.

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 18
The cable is ok, about average. But then again, I haven't really abused my headphones, they always go back into the little bag when I'm done.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 18
Speaking of the D1000 wire, I currently have a D1000 with the right side of it not working. Could it be due to one of the wires being pulled out slightly or something? I really wonder if it would help to recable this. Anyone know approx how much it would cost to recable it, what kind of wire I would need and finally if there are any guides that show how to do it?

I would have another usable headphone if I could recable this. Wouldn't be bad with RX900 on the way as well.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bladefd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of the D1000 wire, I currently have a D1000 with the right side of it not working. Could it be due to one of the wires being pulled out slightly or something? I really wonder if it would help to recable this. Anyone know approx how much it would cost to recable it, what kind of wire I would need and finally if there are any guides that show how to do it?

I would have another usable headphone if I could recable this. Wouldn't be bad with RX900 on the way as well.

Could very well be a broken wire. In order to recable it you need the following

1. Wire/cable (well, maybe)
2. Soldering iron
3. Solder (duh)
4. Wire cutter/stripper (not absolute necessity but helps a lot)
5. Headphone connector (maybe)

#1 and #5 are "maybe" because theoretically you could just remove the existing cable, cut it where the cable is bad, and use the remainder. The trick, though, is knowing where the cable is broken and there's no good way (that I know of) to do this except trial and error. Cut the wire half way, test for continuity with multimeter (if you have one) and repeat until you have a completely connected piece of cable.

For the wire/cable you could get single wires and braid them yourself into 4 conductor cable, or you can get something like mogami neglex or canare star quad microphone cable. You can search for those and get information pretty easily.

If the above don't sound very appealing to you, I'd be happy to offer some help by doing it for you for cost of parts and shipping. I have a selfish motive here in that I want to listen to how they sound before I make a purchase for myself
smile_phones.gif

Oh, here's a post that steps you through recabling a D1001

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could very well be a broken wire. In order to recable it you need the following

1. Wire/cable (well, maybe)
2. Soldering iron
3. Solder (duh)
4. Wire cutter/stripper (not absolute necessity but helps a lot)
5. Headphone connector (maybe)

#1 and #5 are "maybe" because theoretically you could just remove the existing cable, cut it where the cable is bad, and use the remainder. The trick, though, is knowing where the cable is broken and there's no good way (that I know of) to do this except trial and error. Cut the wire half way, test for continuity with multimeter (if you have one) and repeat until you have a completely connected piece of cable.

For the wire/cable you could get single wires and braid them yourself into 4 conductor cable, or you can get something like mogami neglex or canare star quad microphone cable. You can search for those and get information pretty easily.

If the above don't sound very appealing to you, I'd be happy to offer some help by doing it for you for cost of parts and shipping. I have a selfish motive here in that I want to listen to how they sound before I make a purchase for myself
smile_phones.gif

Oh, here's a post that steps you through recabling a D1001

After reading the opening post, I will probably order the Mogami W2893 ( Need Cookies Enabled ) with a Switchcraft 35HD (Need Cookies Enabled ). I don't have a multimeter so might as well just recable the whole thing for $6 extra..

I figured out the basic premise of what I need to do; I also have a soldering iron someplace hopefully. The only question remaining is how do I exactly connect the Mogami wire to the Switchcraft mini-plug? The guide doesn't say much about it. Does the wire itself have 1 end that you just push into the mini-plug or what? I am a little unsure about the whole 'Tip, ring and sleeve configuration' on the connector

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 18
You could find some wiser advice in the DIY forum. (and I highly recommend looking there before cutting into any wires), but basically, when you unscrew the body you slide it unthreaded end first over the cable, Then solder the two black ground wire and any shielding to the connection that attaches to the strain relief, then the right and left go to the remaining two tabs w/holes in them. You really need to have a cheap multimeter w/ a continuity tester to confirm your connections as well as determining rt and left (rt = middle ring) ( lt = Tip) ( ground = base ring) The hard part is sometimes getting the small body of the neutriks connector to slide over the larger guage cables. especially w/ braided nylon, or techflex sleaving. Keep your soldering tip clean ( I use emory cloth sand paper) and hot.

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #15 of 18
As boomy said, you need to unscrew the body of the plug, etc. There will be points where you can solder the individual wires from the cable. As the post mentions, you'll be soldering both negative wires to the ground connection on the plug, and the right to the right and left to the left. then you screw the body back on and voila you should have a working wire.

Also, you really should have a multimeter with a continuity tester as boomy also mentioned if you're going to do any work with soldering. Even with a known good cable, you can end up with bad solder joints. If you have a continuity tester it's usually easier to figure out where the problem is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back