denon d1001 isolation
Mar 10, 2009 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Eisenhower

500+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a closed headphone for around 80 bills. These seemed like the obvious choice, except for that I've heard (pun?) that they have poor isolation and leak sound... which sort of defeats the purpose of closed headphones.

So, can anyone comment on how closed these headphones actually are?
I just need a set of laptop headphones for the library and moderately noisy environments.

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 10
Leakage isn't really a problem unless you're listening too loud. How noisy is your moderately noisy environment? Rooms with light chatter (e.g., offices) are OK, rooms with 300 people talking at once (e.g., parties) are not.

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 10
As for isolation of outside noise, they don't do too much. If your music is at about 10% volume, you can hear everyone word for word. If you bump it up to 25%, you can barely hear people and at 50% (for me thats as loud as you can get before its too loud) you can't hear anything.

As for leakage, if they are on your ears and have a good seal, you can crank it to about 40% before anything leaks out that someone can hear more than 5 feet away, but if you are in a class and someone is sitting next to you, 25% is about as loud as you can get without leakage.

With normal listening volumes, I have never gotten any complaints about people hearing them.

Hope this helped
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 10
they'd worth perfectly fine for the library.. but really, not anything else to be honest.

I don't like listening at loud levels.. maybe thats why.. but they hardly drown talking out at all.

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Are these even closed? They don't seem to possess any of the qualities of closed cans (e.g. lots of bass, isolation).

I need something that will isolate/not leak better than my hd600's and are more portable. I guess I could look at the akg k81 thingies or maybe spend some more money to get some ath-m50's.

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 10
As long as the back is closed and with some form of isolation on the pads its a closed can. But damn the Denons leak like crazy... But to be fair even my Ultrasone Pro 750 leaks like crazy on high volumes, and that has better isolation i cant hear people when i turn the volume at around 30%... :p Way better than the D2000 that i tried (yes thats fullsize and bigger than the D1001, still the same thing i can hear people!!! What)

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 10
I just got my Denon D1001's today and used them in the subway on the way home. The isolation is much better than any open cans, but it's still not amazing. I could definitely still hear the rather loud rumble of the subway, but they seem to work a bit better than my stock IEMs that came with my Sony mp3 player. All the outside noise just sounds really muffled.

PS: They're VERY comfy. Just touch the padding and you'll be amazed at how soft it is(as I was).

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 10
Do they sit on your ear or sort of covers your ear?

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they sit on your ear or sort of covers your ear?

Depends on the size of your ears. I have smallish ears so they fit around, big-eared folk will be wearing them over.

As to isolation, they isolate a little bit but not much. Leakage is pretty much contained though unless you really crank them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these even closed? They don't seem to possess any of the qualities of closed cans (e.g. lots of bass, isolation).

I need something that will isolate/not leak better than my hd600's and are more portable. I guess I could look at the akg k81 thingies or maybe spend some more money to get some ath-m50's.

They are semi-closed. In other words, the cups are not fully sealed so sound will leak in, but they are pretty bassy I find.
smily_headphones1.gif
. If you need isolation then these cans probably not for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back